Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NM Fishing
I just moved to New Mexico, and was wondering where some good places to go fishing are. I am living in Socorro. I was also wondering about Elephant Butt lake. I know there are strippers in it, but i don't know what else. How do you go about fishing for strippers, and is it possible to do from shore/raft/float tube?

thanks
[signature]
Hello Milumbar,
Hello and welcome to the message boards!

Elephant Butte is an excellent place for strippers!

Fishing mackeral, or chicken liver from shore would work and a float tube would probably even be better.

I visited New Mexico last year and fished Elephant Butte with my wifes grandfather and my son. I would definetly reccomend taking a trip out with the guide we fished with. He was very forthcoming with information, got us on the fish, and most definetly would be happy to answer any questions you have about techniques, etc...

Billy Jack is the guides name and Rio Grande Guide Service is his company.
[url "http://www.riograndeguideservice.com/"]http://www.riograndeguideservice.com[/url]

The picture below was taken on that trip
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id...rch_engine][/center]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
thanks for the information, looks like you had a lot of fun that day. I wonder how far one of those would tow me if i hooked it in a float tube. I think i had better find out
[signature]
You'll find a number of guides and shops in Taos who can direct you to a many rivers, streams, and lakes in the Taos area. Some are substantial hikes off the roads while others are within a few minutes of town. I have links to a number of those folks on the "to does" page on my web site in the sig file.
[signature]
I like to fish the Butte from my boat trolling umbrella rigs with storm swim baits (storm)blue gill and (calcutta)purple haze patterns for strippers.The Butte also has largemouth, smallies, white bass and mammoth catfish, just to name a few. If you can go up north the Pecos river is pretty good, Heron lake is excellent,Navajo is a great lake as well.Cochiti has turn up the past few years as well,good Walleye fishin last year! What is your favorite fish to catch? For me definitely any kind of Trout ell do.
besta luck!
CATCH AND RELEASE!!!!!!
GONEFISHN365
[signature]