Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flyrod Guide Spacing
I need some Flyrod advice, I have mostly built heavier rods in the past and have had no problems I couldn't figure out one way or another, but here's the prob. <br>A friend used my shop to build a flyrod, his first wrapping experience, I taught him the basics and watched over his shoulder thruout the process, his wraps were fine and everything looks good.<br>But he says the rod doesn't cast as well as some of his other flyrods, It is a 9' 5 Wt Lamiglass with 10 Titainum snake guides.<br><br>Is there some magical guide placement formula? We based placement on the new blank using a factory rod. <br>Not being a flyfisher I have no idea what could be wrong.<br><br>Any ideas would be appreciated.<br>Thanks Rick<br><br><br><br><font color=purple>2NA</font color=purple>
Thanks for the input guys, we did check for the spine and also taped the guides in place prior to winding but only in the natural downward facing position, it seems that the snake type guides are not well liked by those in the know, adding friction etc... we are going to replace those with a single footed ceramic insert type guide as well as making some test casts before wrapping them into place.

as I posted before I've built well over 50 rods, almost all of them being the saltwater conventional type and never had a casting problem but as I'm beginning to see this flyrod stuff is a bit different.

Thanks again for the info.
Rick
[signature]