Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead 09/19/04
Sunday- 09/19/04, Hit the water early (5:00am). Weather station said wind warning begining at noon so we decided to give it a shot. At 5:00 am the Lake was smooth as glass,with big clouds over Arizona giving us an awsome thunder show. We tossed the net about a million times in the coves around Las Vegas Wash before we had enough live shad to fish with. We started fishing around Hole 33 and the bite was steady, although most of the fish were small. We released a lot of small stripers and two bigger fish that were very lean. We brought home 13 stripers. The weather held up nice until about 9:30 am when all of a sudden the water started to cap up. Its hard to drift in a strong wind so we packed up and headed in. There were four other boats fishing at anchor, near the red channel marker near Hole 33 when we left. We got off the Lake at about the right time, the wind kicked up hard around 11:00. The sailboats were headed out and the powerboats were headed in! Overall it was a great day. I can't wait until next time!
BaySport
[signature]
nice report BaySport, what depth do you fish these live shad?

sm
[signature]
I've caught fish at different depths.. 20ft. to 70ft. Mostly at about 50 ft. I kind of watch the sonar and adjust the depth to where I think the fish are. I use a Cabela's depthmaster reel so I always know how far down I am. I really like live bait fishing, so far we have had good success with it. It has been hard to net large numbers of shad this season, but we always seem to get enough. Yesterday we caught about forty and used all but three.You should join us sometime and see for yourself.We go every weekend.
BaySport
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Let me know which weekend and I'll motor down too. Sounds like the bite has been steady. What's the boil situation like? [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I got an offer to fish Powell during mid October for 4 days. I'm considering it. They say the stripers should be on the bite and boils plentiful.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]When's football over? You need to come up here and we'll go chase macks. If you can get here during the first week of November, I can almost guarantee we can get into so good ones and plenty of them.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
We have not seen any boils in the mornings in Las Vegas Bay. A few fish splashing here and there but no big boils. I don't know about the rest of the lake. An angler I know has told me of boils in the afternoons, another has told me about successful night fishing with live shad. Thats what I want to do is try night fishing. I have several new lights to try out. I just have not been able to get an evening to fish yet.Maybe soon. Come down and we will try it!
BaySport
[signature]
We were out there near 33 hole on Saturday morning about 5:00 and there were surface boils. Tried for shad earlier with the cast net for about 45 minutes and come up empty. Swimbaits worked and biggest fish on spoons. White and green Skeeter. Headed back at 9:30 also. Got wet returning to Boulder Hrbor, nothing serious.
[signature]
It's hard to find and net live shad. My pardner can toss a net 20' and make it land flat on the water everytime. He has 50' of line on the net so it can sink deep. I don't know how he manages to throw and not tangle up everytime, but he does. I just handle the boat. We cover a lot of area until we are successful. We have netted shad in 1'of water and 12' of water. We just keep looking and tossing until we are successful. So far we have netted enough shad each time we have been out. Last season we could fill the live wells with one or two tosses, not now.
BaySport
[signature]
hey there tony. just wanted to say what the heck is goin on. looking at our old fish lake pics and cracked me up. did i send those to you?
[signature]
not much fishing, taking a couple classes this semester, not sure i got this year's pics, what there were of them, hopefully next year we can get the date right for sih lake, i guess late june

tony
[signature]
no way i thought we were goin to the gorge instead. how about that idea.
[signature]
screw it next year 2 days at each place in the spring!

sm
[signature]
dang fishlake and flaming gorge? well alright if you call it boss haha
[signature]