Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cushion seats?
Just though I'd post some information pertaining to just about any tube with a firm foam seat. Kennenbeck and the fat cat come to mind as well as my tube the outfitters expedition. For some reason as the seat has broken in it has become somewhat painfull to stay seated for long hours. Unless I keep perfect posture after a couple of hours I get a dull pain in the "tailbone" area when I shift positions. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of discomfort?

My first thought was to purchase a deck chair cushion and attach that to the seat to provide softness and hopefully comfort. I haven't tried this yet but may in the future. During my visit to TD's play pen we discussed this problem and he offered the remedy of using foam. Great idea but that leaves me with the dilema of where to aquire the appropriate materials. I came across an article in this months field and stream that answers my question. "Foam sweet foam" by Nickens, describes some ingenious uses for minicell foam and offers a source for the material. Since it has been used by canoeists and kayakers for cushioning purposes it can be purchased at specialty paddling shops. For those that are interested the article is located on page 46 October issue, just below "in the bag" which by the way is a very interesting article on making your own shoulder carry tackle bag with nothing more than some pvc and an old army surplus amunition or map bag.

On an end note I have tried using a PFD (square seat type), not necessarily as a cushioning agent, but as a means of providing hieght in the tube. It adds a degree of comfort but provides too much hieght making it difficult to paddle.

Any additional ideas on cushioning a foam seat would be appreciated. Feel free to chime in and offer any suggestions.
[signature]
i have some of that small celled foam and if you want some some get it
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Al, if the stuff Petty has will not work, look in the Yellow Pages under "Foam and Sponge Rubber". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Back when we were still using donut tubes, and wanted to sit a bit higher, we got some of the 4" high density foam and cut it to fit in the available space. It made for a softer ride and did raise us up a couple of inches.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You don't necessarily need the extra height if you have an elevated bench seat, but the cushioning would help. You might be able to get by with some 2". It would be cheaper too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The one downside of the foam is that you have to wring it out good after getting off the water. It soaks up a bunch of water and makes for a lot of extra weight to carry if you don't drain it good. Once dry, it is almost weightless.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
the stuff i have wont absorb water. its also about 2" thick
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As you described it in your PM, it is the same closed cell white foam used in the backrest of many float tubes. It is not quite the soft consistencey Hustler was looking for, since he will be inserting it between his posterior and the similar hard foam of the seat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Again, the open cell rubber foam, used to make seat cushions and mattresses is probably the best, although it also has some drawbacks.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Funny, I called a few places and asked for minicell foam. The response is always "mini cell phones?". No one knows what I'm talking about. Come to think of it I don't know what mini cell foam is anyway, lol. I'm sure it's similar to the material used to make pipe insulation.

Hey Jason is the foam you have that white stuff used to make disposable coolers and package material? I need something soft and cushiony that can stand up to being water logged or better yet something water proof. If your familiar with pip insulation that material looks ideal. It's water tight and has great cushioning properties. I'm assuming that it is the material they talk about in the article I referenced.

Anyway...couldn't find any "paddle shops" in the yellow pages so will have to try TD's suggestion unless the stuff you have will work. Or I can always just live with it, LOL.
[signature]
My son uses one of those PFD boat cushions. It is soft and comfortable. All you have to do is secure it to the seat in the tube.
[signature]
try marco foam in n. slc

the foam i have isnt the white cooler stuff. its like the seats and back rest for the fishcat4's
[signature]
Hi there TubeDude,

Just thought of another option that I afraid wouldn't float (heh heh heh) from the git go but.... I've used some of that foam-in-a-can to insulate around security door/screen frames.

The material dries quickly to any shape but it is kinda soft and spongy.... which makes me think it would not last to long.

There ought to be other types of that insulation foam in a spray can or maybe a two part base/catalyist kit.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I had thought of the spray foam a couple of times too. However, as you guess, it is not tough enough to withstand some sitting and flexing. It disintegrates. It is designed to shoot into a crack or crevice and then be left alone. It is also nasty stuff, with formaldehyde fumes. You could embalm yourself.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am still looking for a firm but soft closed cell foam that could be easily carried and would not wear out easy or soak up water. So far I haven't found the ideal solution.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hi again TubeDude,

Right beside the target range I qualify at there is a factory that makes these huge foam cushions for really heavy equipment. That stuff is super strong, the surface drys to where it looks slick, and it's kind of a mustard color.

It is made and comes out of a tank via hose and has the consistancy of oatmeal. Being semi-liquid it flows around the different angles and such so that it both insulates and locks the item to the crate, etc.

That stuff might be ok but if I remember right water is watermark it!

JapanRon
[signature]