Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosquito Lagoon Report
If you want to see the best laser light show in town, just launch your skiff before sunrise into the waters of the Indian River Lagoon. This time of year the phosphorescence is absolutely incredible. You can just about run in the dark and rely on the green glow to guide you…but I wouldn’t recommend it.<br><br>A few weeks ago we had a slight cool down and the fishing really seemed to take a step up. Over the past month, we’ve had several double-digit days for redfish. Of significance, Mike Carlson of Melbourne caught 28 reds to 14 pounds one morning by 10am. Captain Bob Menegay made the trip up from Jupiter, Florida to fish the Mosquito Lagoon…we caught so many fish that I literally lost count. I am sure I’ve forgotten a few names here. For a few days we were consistently ravaging through 4 dozen live shrimp by 10am. When the sun was high enough, sightfishing was on the agenda.<br><br>Congratulations to Joe Boulanger, VP of the ICEE Company (you know the slushee drinks) on catching 3 monster redfish on Mosquito Lagoon. His first cast of the morning to a tailing fish was an 18 pounder. His next fish was a 19 pounder and his last fish of the day was a 29 pounder that was cruising in 2 feet of water. All it took was a good cast and the fight was on. Joe’s monster reds can be found on the photos page of my website. Good job Joe!<br><br>I have been fishing quite a bit with my girlfriend lately as well. She, as usual, is catching everything in sight. She just has that great casting ability that we all wish we had. But, about two weeks ago, I finally caught my own red of about 23 pounds. According to her, that was enough for me, and back to poling the boat I went.<br><br>Fishing is great right now. All you need is a good cast and you are hooked up…enjoy the calm weather pattern we are in now. As Fall kicks into gear, the slick calm days will be few and far between.<br><br>Capt. Rob Blake<br>www.redfishonfly.com<br>1-866-RED-DRUM Toll Free<br><br><br>Contact Capt. Rob at 1-866-RED-DRUM <br>or 321-633-0923 or 321-544-5041 (cell).