Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions About Hunting on Reservation Land
The North Dakota Game and Fish Department reminds hunters who are not native Americans about regulations and requirements for hunting or fishing on Indian reservations in the state.
Some common questions and their answers are listed below. Most questions relate to those who are not enrolled tribal members.
Q: What type of state licenses do I need to hunt and fish on a reservation in North Dakota?
A: All applicable state licenses are required, just as if you were hunting or fishing in any other part of the state. In addition, if you are going to hunt or fish on tribal lands, you may be required to have an additional license from the tribe.
Q: I have relatives coming in from out of state. They plan on buying a tribal license because they are going to hunt on tribal lands. Do they also need a state license?
A: Yes.
Q: If I buy a tribal deer, turkey, or antelope license am I entitled to take both the state and tribal limits?
A: No. All state seasons and limits apply. For example, to take a deer on the reservation, you must first have drawn a North Dakota license. Then you may be required to purchase a tribal license if you are going to hunt on tribal lands. In any case you may take only one deer.
Q: What kind of fishing or hunting license do I need to access Corps of Engineers land along the river near the reservation?
A: Unless you cross tribal land to get there, you need only the North Dakota license. To access areas across tribal lands, a tribal permit may be required.
Q: I've heard regulations are different in South Dakota. Is that correct?
A: Yes. South Dakota honors tribal hunting licenses in lieu of state licenses on several reservations.
Q: Many tribes open their season at different time than the state and offer different bag limits. If I buy a tribal license and have the appropriate state license, whose rules do I follow?
A: In all instances state regulations apply, unless you are a tribal member.
Q: I plan on hunting within the reservation only on lands owned in fee-title by a friend or relative. In addition to my state license, do I need a tribal license?
A: No. The key is that you are hunting on non-tribal land owned in fee title by a friend or relative.
Q: How do I contact the reservations for licenses and information?
A: Contact reservations at the following addresses and phone numbers:
* Fort Berthold Game and Fish Department, HC3-Box 2, New Town, ND 58763, (701) 627-4760.
* Standing Rock Game and Fish Department, Box D, Fort Yates, ND 58538, (701) 854-7236.
* Turtle Mountain Department of Natural Resources, Box 570, Belcourt, ND 58316, (701) 477-2600.
* Spirit Lake Fish and Wildlife Department, Box 359, Fort Totten, ND 58335, (701) 766-4221.
[signature]