Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
just moved to california( channel islands)
Any tips for fishing off the jetty by the naval base on the channel islands?
[signature]
Light to medium tackle for the Calico Bass. Various color plastics on a leadhead at the surface works great.
Medium to heavy for the Batrays and sharks in the area. 2 oz sliding rig with 2/0 circle hook with a whole squid.

Send me a PM with your particulars and I can explain a little better over the phone. I will send you my #.

By the way, Welcome to California. You couldn't have picked a better spot as we go into the cooler part of the season.
[signature]
Hey there brownskie,

Welcome to California, its' fishing, and the our California board. We look forward to being of service to you and you're fishing efforts.

In return, we're looking to hear of those first time exploits. TubeN2, knowing the Channel Islands well and fishing them often, will guide you thru the rather jig-saw kind of fishing, fishing areas, and restrictions imposed on that area I'm sure.

Big ol' calicos galore!

JapanRon
[signature]
Welcome to the Best State in the U.S.
I don't know about the [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]channel islands but here in Long Beach fishing next to a Naval Base is a NO NO. So before you go, check with the Harbor Master to see if you can fish near their base or else the Boys with the M16 and 50cal are going to chase you off.[blush]

And a let me invite you to listen to a great fishing resorce on the radio
Western Fishing and Boating Radio every Thursday night on 1540 am or on the internet at www,wfbradio.com [sly]
[/size][/black][/font][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Hey WFBRadio,
Up north by Hueneme, they don't mind. Only because the entrance gets congested with lots of fish and stuff that gets all over the submarines.

You can actually go through the housing areas for the base to get to the good fishing spots. You will never go on the South side of the North Jetty, nor the North side of the South Jetty. The guys watching those extremes are just like you referred to.

They are NOT carrying fishing poles. And they do use live rounds.

It took me awhile to become a regular overthere and once you do, you get alot more respect from the guards as a civilian.
[signature]
It sounds like you got off to a good start. It looks like I'm heading to Santa Barbara Pier this coming Friday. Feel free to come along if you would like.

There are some good Red Crab and Rock Crab. There also some Ghost Crab, Spider Crab and Kelp Crab up there. We may keep some crabs but Lobster season just opened on the 2nd and we are targeting legal size Lobster.
[signature]