Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some help on stringing reel please!
I have never strung a reel before, I could use all the help I can get. I am 26 years old and just got the fishing bug about six months ago. My dad hated fishing and never showed me a thing so that is why I am posting. I grew up in city and now live on Marco Island so I really plan on doing a lot of fishing. I had been buying cheadp combos on ebay that were already strung but I just bought my first new rod and reel. If I say something wrong or have bought wrong items that shouldn't go together please tell me.

I got two piece 7foot uglystick it has a medium rating 10-25lbs and I bought a Penn 5600 live liner both are spinning. I also have purchased 300 yards of 20lbs of moss green power pro braided line. All can be returned so feel free to comment. I was told that I shouldn't string with just braided for that it will slide I should start with mono and then add the braided. Now thats my problem how do I properly tie the two together if it is correct. And how do I tie to the reel. Please be specific with names of knots for I can search and find them on the internet. Thanks for any help,
Lost But Enjoying It
[signature]
Hey there marcoisland78,

Welcome to the boards. What you need to do is let us know what species of fish, freshwater or saltwater, where you fish from (beach, pier, etc), so that we will have a picture of what you're doing.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][font "Californian FB"][#005028][size 3]Hi there marcoisland78 and welcome to the BFT. I assume that you will be doing salt water fishing. Any particular species you have in mind? Tarpon, Snook, and Redfish are quite common in your area. Years ago I fished off of Sanibel Island which was great. Hadn't really planned on doing any fishing there as my wife and I just wanted to get away for a few days. Loved the place so much that we stayed a week. Bought a rod and reel and spent 5 straight days in the surf. The water temp was about 85ยบ. A catch so to speak that I didn't want was stepping on a small ray. Boy did my heel ever bleed. My preference has always been to use light tackle. Makes me feel more in touch with my catch. As JapanRon mentioned would be helpful to know what species that you plan on seeking.[/size][/#005028][/font]
[signature]
I will only be fishing saltwater. I like to try and catch snook, jacks, snapper, sheepshead. Nothing huge but a decent fight. I usually fish off of pier into a pass. Or i will fish off of the rocks on the south beach, I think it is called the "jetties" or "jutties" not real sure. I usually only fish with live shrimp. Hope thats enough help, thanks for repling so quick.
Thanks,
MarcoIsland78
[signature]
[font "Californian FB"][#005028][size 3]Hi there marcoisland78, Here is some info on Snook fishing.[/size][/#005028][/font]
[font "Californian FB"][#005028][size 3]Snook in the passes can be taken on live pinfish, grunts, sardines, threadfins and other large baits. Jigs are the best of artificial lures and at times can out- produce anything. The ultimate fishing scenario is when the fish get on the points and along the beach in knee- deep water. Flyfishing with a 8 wt. fly-rod and streamer flies sight-casted to cruising or milling snook offer the ultimate in both hunting and fishing. This type of fishing charter is best accomplished by getting out of the boat and stalking the fish while walking on the warm Florida sand.
Jetties would be the right term.
[/size][/#005028][/font]
[font "Californian FB"][#005028][size 3]Will you be using a fly rig or mostly spinning gear?[/size][/#005028][/font]
[signature]
[cool] Hey boss, better late than never, fishing is more than a hobbie brother, it's a way of life. Dryrod up there gave you the low low on snook, i'm from SC, we don't have snook up there. Though I mostly troll now, I still tango with the inshore fins as well. Sheepshead are more tricky, and the technique you use changes dramatically based on where you're fishing. For instance, In the southern part of SC, you can catch sheepshead in the bay. All you have to do is find some structure, I.E. a tree hanging in the water, something like that. Sorta like Red Drum fishing. Where as further up north, you need to be on a pier or even the rocks on the jetties are good. Alot of people use freshly scraped barnicles, but, I disagree. I'll gather up some fidler crabs and call it a day. Those, to me, are the best bait for them. And, Drum eat them too. Fishing on a pier, just bait up with a fidler crap, and use a carolina rig with about a 12 inch leader. And here is a little tip, Don't use the biggest damn bait in the bucket. Sheepshead can be very finiky, you're going to catch way more fish with the smaller bait. And don't use huge hooks either, use smaller ones. Just work those pillars and rocks, and when you feel a little nibble, don't be shy, set the hook. The first few times you go sheepshead fishing, don't be surprised if you get frustrated, they can be tricky, and filleting them is a pain in the ass because they have huge rib cage bones that are a pill to cut through. My buddy uses an electric fillet knife to do sheepshead, I can't use it, I have to use a regular knife. But, maybe you can practice a bit and get good with it. However, you get through all that, and the meat is quite tastey. And get yourself a subscription to Saltwater Sportsman's magazine too. It's like twenty bucks for a year, and it's well worth it. Even seasoned and experianced fishermen like myself can benefit from that magazine. It's loaded with tips, stratagies, and all the latest and greatest gear. Just remember, anyone can bait a hook, throw out the line, and hope something bites. but to be able to target a specific species efficiently makes you a professional, and will make you consistent. Study the fish you are seeking, learn thier habbits, habitats, natural foods, and your fishing experiances will be much better, because you'll catch fish. And remember one more thing, fishing isn't always about catching fish either, it's about the ride.
[signature]