Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crappies
[unsure] Has anyone caught any of these so called big crappies that are supposed to roaming pineview reservoir? I would like to take my kids up a catch a few. Any recent info would be appreiciated.
[signature]
[size 4]If you figure it out, let me know. I have tried multiple times up there and it has proved to be a nightmare. Skeeter used to go up there years ago and fish around the private docks north of the marina and get into them, I have many friends who in years past have done very well on the crappie. One rainy day this year when the muskies werent biting skeeter and I tried for them but it was a bust. I heard story told that the shallow bay east of cemetary point yeilded hundreds of crappie last year one day after a rain storm. They are in there, if you are lucky enough to get them. I think the ones in willard are easier, but the rumors of size from pineview is appealing.[/size]
I'm one of the "old-timers" that used to get lotsa crappies...and some up to almost 2 lbs. from Pineview. I'm taking care of my 84 year old parents down here in Arizona right now...and I have to settle for a few 19" 3 pounders down here. Although, three of my favorite float tube lakes have gone dry in the past year. Gotta hunt 'em with shotguns now. You'd never believe how fast those guys can run. Gotta get me a good crappie dog.

I know from my follow up trips, and echats with fishing buddies, that the days of old have been altered forever by the introductions of perch and tigers. The first eats the eggs and fry. The second eats anything that doesn't eat them first. Once huge populations of crappies have been reduced to a hit or miss proposition...with more misses than hits.

Almost anybody can catch crappies during the "spring fling". After they move away from the shoreline, and go deep, it takes knowledge, skill and luck. Good sonar helps too. Although they are structure-oriented, you might find them suspended at 30 feet in 60 feet of water. To catch them usually takes a vertical presentation...right on their noses...with something more the size of an ice fly than a big grub or twister. They don't like a lot of motion and will often suck it in while it is absolutely still. You have to watch your line as well as maintain "touch" with a super lite lure.

The good news is that some of the best crappie action of the year is right around the corner. Although the fish may have been more scattered through the summer, they tend to school up more as the water cools. Use your sonar to prospect underwater points going out into the lake, or shallow underwater humps. Sometimes you can find big mixed schools of crappies and small bass in 12 - 15 feet of water...or shallower. They will hit small jigs, either on the fall or when retrieved slowly through them or over them.

My best lures used to be 2" tubes or twisters...smoke sparkle...on 1/16 ounce heads. I often rigged tandem...sometimes with two of the same lures. When the water was cooling fast, and the fall bite was on, it was not unusual to catch two fish per cast...sometimes one crappie and one junior bass. Once in ashile there would be big old bluegill hangin' with them too.

As the water cools toward iceup, chartreuse becomes the best color, followed by white with a hot red head. The fish will also move shallower and the docks become a good place to finesse a few. You will also start catching some bigger bass on smaller jigs too...especially when you bounce them on the bottom.

Well, that's some input from someone who would rather be prospecting on Pineview than washing lures in the 85 degree water around Phoenix. TD
[signature]