Analyzing strikes
[font "Arial"][#7a0000][size 5]Tips & tactics
[/size][/#7a0000][/font][size 3][font "Arial"]Analyzing strikes
[/font][/size]
[size 1]
By Tim Tucker
BASS Times, Aug. 2004

[/size][size 1][/size][size 1][Image: P2_BT_Aug04_Analyze_stikes.jpg]

[/size][font "Arial"]It happens quickly and sometimes without warning. But it can and will determine the outcome of a bass fisherman's success. That's why an angler must develop the ability to analyze a strike. [/font]
The unpredictable, lightning-fast event can deliver a wealth of information, according to top BASS pros and professional guides, including where bass are positioned in cover, how high they are in the water column, whether a spot likely holds additional fish, and more. Strike analysis can also help you determine proper lure speed, type, color and placement.

[font "Arial"]And strike analysis is the first — and perhaps most critical — step in pattern fishing. [/font]
[font "Arial"][/font]
Veteran Texas pro Alton Jones has long recognized the value of being scrutinizing each and every strike.

"I started wondering something about bass when I was flipping a jig or some sort of soft plastic lure," the past BASS winner said. "Let's say there's a stump over there and there's a bass holding at the base of it — no telling how long it's been there, waiting.

"All of a sudden, I pitch my jig over there. The fish grabs it on the fall and quickly swims off with it, as if it's heading for a brushpile where it's used to going when it bites something. Other times, you can pitch to that same stump and a bass will grab it and just stay there."

As Jones began to wonder about these different reactions, it dawned on him that the fish might be giving valuable clues that would lead him to more solid bites.

"Maybe that bass swims off with a lure because his buddy down there is trying to get it out of his mouth, competing for it."

A longtime former guide on Richland Chambers Reservoir, Jones set about testing his theory. He began to spend considerable time analyzing strikes.

"That's what really clued me in to the fact that there may be more than one bass in a spot," Jones explained. "If a bass hits my jig and immediately runs off, I take that as a sign that there are other bass around. When I'm flipping down the bank and that happens, I will always work the area over carefully.

"I've learned that whenever a bass swims off with your bait, there's almost always another fish there. So it made me keenly aware of if I get a bite there, I dang sure better throw back into that spot again."

By analyzing each strike, Jones has learned to pinpoint pieces of cover that are likely to be replenished with fish throughout the day.

"With that same scenario — a bass that quickly takes my bait away from a spot — I will throw back to the spot several times," he said, "and if I don't get a strike, I will make a point to return to that spot later in the day. If it's a good spot, other bass will move in later.

"Something else I've learned doing this is maybe I don't catch one off the exact same piece of cover. But when I come back, I might catch a fish off of the bush right next to it."

Since he started paying close attention to bass strikes, Jones has had literally hundreds of situations in which he could catch multiple fish off the same target. "You will be amazed at how many times you can go back to the exact same piece of cover and get another bite or two," he said.

Jones and other knowledgeable anglers say the strike can provide important clues to bass positioning in cover, as well as its depth. Both can be used to gauge the activity level of resident fish.

For example, a strike that comes on the edge of cover or high up in grass or brush likely means an active bass that was poised to attack (indicating that fast moving "coverage" lures should be productive). A bite that comes from deep in the vegetation represents a relatively inactive bass that is more likely to fall victim to a precise, methodical presentation.

Similar clues come from the bass' positioning in the water when the strike occurs.

Let's say you're fishing in water that's 10 feet deep — here's how the pros say you can judge the activity level of the fish: A fish that strikes in the upper one-third is very active and susceptible to flashy, fast moving baits. A bite in the middle one-third indicates a moderately active bass that requires a more precise presentation. And a fish that comes from the bottom one-third won't move very far to hit a lure; its strike was likely a reflex action.

Here are some other clues to look for:
[li]When using a topwater plug, a vicious strike tells you that the bass are especially aggressive. So, Jones recommends switching to a buzzbait to quickly cover the area, looking for other hyperactive bass. If a fish flashes on the surface bait or misses it, it may be time to change color or go to a smaller size. A bass that just creates a boil behind the bait calls for a change in size or color (or switching to a soft stickworm, a jerkbait or a floating worm).
[li]"If a fish hits the lure and travels quickly away from cover or moves on down the bank, that's a competition strike," Florida tournament angler Ron Kyls said. "Chances are there's more fish in that area, so quickly throw back to the same bush, tree, or bank section. Too many fishermen fail to cast back to the place that held a fish. They could be passing up a whole school of bass.
[li]"If a bass hits your bait and doesn't move very far, that could be a sign that it is a big fish, or an inactive fish. Respond by being more precise and slowing down. Be more methodical and cover every piece of the cover," added Kyls. [/li]
[signature]
[cool] [font "Californian FB"][#005028][size 3]Interesting article there B-ND, Would think that to prove their theory, Tim Tucker would have some under water cameras mounted in key positions.[/size][/#005028][/font]
[signature]
Great information! I'll have to keep it in mind.
[signature]
Thats a great article, I love watching a hawg explode on a topwater bait. If that doesn't get your blood going then you're DEAD[Wink]
[signature]
lil late but ill use that info for my upcoming bass tournament thanx i think i have a good shot at 1st now thanx!![Wink]
[signature]