Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell Report - 10/6 - 10/9
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Headed for Powell with Polokid and Kurt, scorup on BFT, and launched out of Wahweap Bay and headed north to Gregory Butte, where we pitch camp directly in a cove at it's base. We fished Padre Bay, Last Chance Canyon, and West Canyon areas. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Stripers were hard to come by but we did manage about 20 good size stripers topping out at 7 lbs. Most stripers were caught speed jigging because the top water action was non-existent. We did have one quick, small boil right in camp. We manage to grab our top water gear and pulled three stripers in, including the 7lber, before it quit.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The smallmouth fishing was very good and we managed to catch all the smallies we wanted up to 3 lbs. We worked a lot of shoreline using and electric but the best smallies were either vertical jigged up from depths up to 65 ft and trolling. We also caught smallies with top water gear that were boiling like stripers. The smallies definitely filled the void where the striper voided.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Saturday night we went to the Wayne's Words Southern Shad Rally and a Killer striper fish fry. These folks were fathfuls to the bulliten boards on [/size][/black][/font][url "http://www.waynesword.com/"][font "Times New Roman"][black][size 4]waynesword.com[/size][/black][/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3] and put on a great social event similar to those put on by the BFT folks. Wayne Gustaveson, Wayne of wayne's word was there and it was great fun to talk striper tactics and behavior with him and the other. Polokid was the lucky winner in the raffle and won a new Shimano Curado reel! The fish were striper and battered and deep fried. Just unbelievable, great fish![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
This was my first trip to Lake Powell and I have to say it lives up to all its hype. The company was good. I was hoping to hit a boil or two. but thats fishing and that is the way it goes. I am getting my film developed to post some picts of the trip. I still had fun jigging and catching my first stripers. they are a hoot. The smallie fishing was great. the scenery was to die for.
I couldnt ask for a better trip, plus to walk away with a new Curado reel. I need to practice casting and controlling my casts with it!!!
[signature]
Sure sounds like a great trip! Can't wait to see the pics. Did you guys pick up any largies while you were down there?
[signature]
Neither BLM or i got a largie, but Kurt picked up a couple of nice ones. I forgot to report about the Ceviche!!! BLM made some Ceviche on friday night and for fish cured in lime juice it was great. The people from wayneswords.com were extremely friendly. JUst as friendly as us BFTers. The weather was great,wearing shorts and tshirts in the night time. the water temp was nice, between 70-75 degrees. We did learn that boat gas is definitely a issue when touring lake powell.
[signature]
i am going to be down at lake powell the 13th thru the 17th and i am happy to hear that the fishing was good. i will be near wahweap.
Joe
[signature]
Sounds like a great trip, did you get your electric trolling motor mounted or were you in a different boat?
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like a very fun trip. Glad to hear you guys got into some good action. Which topwater baits worked best for the smallies and topwater wipers?
[signature]
[black]These are the pics of the only fish worth capturing on film. North Powell wasn't very good to us.[/black]
[signature]
We went out on a guy from Logans boat, he is a regular on Wayneswords.com. Alot of my smallies were caught on Mooselures, many on the lime shad, photo shad and some of nomooses crawdad imitations. also caught a few on the buzz bombs he creates. I havent really used alot of his lures in the past, but I used quite a few this past weekend with some good success!!!
[signature]
I thought Rich might have installed the electric trolling motor he's had for a year or so. Did you know there was a rally and fish fry when you guys when down? If you did, do they have it every year?
[signature]
We did know there was a rally, and infact they do 2 a year. One for the northern powell guys (Bullfrog) and one for the southern powell guys (Wahweap). If you go to the wayneswords website it has a link to the Shad Rallies.
[signature]