Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Sunday 10/10/04
Sunday, 10/10- Hit the water early (5:30). Headed for Las Vegas Wash to net live shad. To my satisfaction, I found the area where the wash flows into the lake loaded with shad. The movement of large numbers of shad made the surface of the water look like rain drops were hitting it. Three throws resulted in much more bait than I could use by myself. Some of the shad were four to five inches long! With both live wells full I headed out to start my first drift. The action started immediatly, and stayed steady throughout the entire moring. There were several boats around the Hole 33 area, and everyone seemed to be landing fish. Most seemed to be jigging. I know that the jig bite can be very productive, but I would rather live bait fish if I can catch shad. I brought home eight nice stripers. I released every striper that would survive. I caught 18 total, most small, one over twenty inches! On the way in I gave the remaining shad to some anglers fishing at the tires by the Marina. They seemed happy to get them. At the fish cleaning station I talked to an angler who also was live bait fishing and had an ice chest full of stripers, a couple that might have been around five pounds! He said that he had no trouble finding shad today.

The water was perfect, the fishing steady, it was a great! I can't wait until next time!
BaySport
[signature]
Did you happen to see how the shore anglers were doing? Id love to get into some stripers, and its no problem showing up @ the ass crack of dawn to catch em. Are the strippers within casting range of the shore @ hole 33? Thx in advance!
[signature]
[size 2][size 2][font "comic sans ms"] BaySport, thanks for the report. Did you try a different spot to find shad or are the shad just more abundent?

David[/size]
[/size]
[signature]
wow great report, glad you had a great day!

happiness is a full casting net!

sm
[signature]
I don't know how successful shore anglers are. Traditionaly shore fishing picks up when the water temp goes down. If I was fishing from the shore I would go to the old Las Vegas Bay boat ramp and hike down to where I could toss a net and catch a few shad. Casting live shad out from the shore might result in a few fish. Everytime I net shad at the wash there are a few people doing what I just decribed. Maybe a trip to check it out would be worth your while. Ask the people who shore fish, see what they use, etc.
Good luck,
BaySport
[signature]
Same spot, tons of shad. I hope it stays that way for a while!
BaySport
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hey, Brother Baysport![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Sounds like a good trip as usual.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We hit Powell for 5 days last week and it was gorgeous. Weather was perfect but the stripers were slow. The smallmouth bass made up for it though. We've got to get to Powell and do some boat camping. I did manage a few stripers over six pounds with the biggest right at 7lbs. Caught most on the jig, ripping kastmasters w/ bucktail hooks to the surface.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Should of brought my cast net. We had billions of shad in the cove we were camping in. I would of liked to have tried them for bait at night. We tried anchovies but no luck with submersible lights for attracting bait fish.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Thanks for the report. I'd like to get down but, man, gas and desiel are going thru the roof! Our fuel bill for boat and truck was close to $400 divided between 3 guys.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Rich,
Nice Trip! Yes I'm all for going to Powell. Maybe early June before it gets hot.
Dave
[signature]