Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey Wimps
[cool][#0000ff]Man, the temperatures start to drop a little and all the fair weather tubers fold up like a road map. Ain't nobody else dunkin' their tubes or toons in the water these days?

We had a fun excursion here in Utah last week, with about a dozen tubes and toons (and one kayak) hitting Lincoln Beach, on Utah Lake, for a morning of casting and comeraderie. Didn't depopulate the lake much, but we did catch some white bass, cats and one suicidal walleye.

TubeBabe and I are going to be hitting Utah Lake again Friday morning. The water temps are getting down toward the mid fifties now, which usually signals the white bass and walleyes that it is time to move into the area around "the springs", where warmer geothermal water comes into the lake. That congregates them for easier pickin's.

Then, toward the end of the month...actually posponed until November 6...we are having an invitational float tubing "mack attack" on Bear Lake, on the Utah and Idaho border. That is a big, cold lake, known for its plentiful lake trout and cutthroat, as well as a couple of species of whitefish that smack lures well. There is a good liklihood of having snow on the ground for that one. The water will also be cold, although the lake usually does not freeze over in the winter.

Heck, I have float tubed somewhere in Utah every month of the year. Sometimes I have had to crunch my way out through skim ice, around the shoreline, to get out to the fishing. I have dodged big floating ice sheets, both in late fall and early spring. And, I have had some great fishing by positioning my craft to allow casting along the edge of ice cover.

Fishing in the cold requires several things. First, you gotta be a little bit deranged and a lot committed to fishing. Second, you have to dress for the occasion. That means neoprene waders, over a couple of insulating layers. Good wool socks are vital too, but don't jam too much bulk into the same booties and fins you use for fishing in warmer conditions. You will get constriction and your feet will get cold, no matter how many layers of warmth you have added.

Take fishing gloves and use them if your hands get chilled. Also, be sure to wear a warm hat. A lot of body heat can escape through your head, if you aren't properly protected.

Make sure your inflated craft is fully inflated and has a chance to set for awhile before launching. You may have to add some more air, to compensate for the shrinking in the cold. If your craft loses too much volume once you are on the water, you probably have a leak and you need to hit the shore, before you become a candidate for hypothermia.

Above all, don't take unnecessary chances. Skim ice is doable, early in the morning. It us usually gone after the morning sun hits the water for awhile. However, if the temperature is below freezing, and the ice is still forming, leave your craft in your vehicle. You do not want to be "frozen out" while you are out fishing. You can also have problems if there are large chunks of sheet ice floating around in a lake. If the wind changes, those large heavy chunks of ice, even thin ice, can cause you some damage if they push you onto the shore and/or some rocks. At the very least, they can push onto the shoreline you need to use to get out of the water and block your path.

Don't tempt fate, but there is also no need to put away your tubes and 'toons until hard water covers your favorite ponds.

Let's get some reports on the board.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Wimps?!!! If I just would be willing to make the time to prove you wrong I would! Winter is one of my favorite times to fish (via tubing lakes and wading rivers). It isn't nearly as crowded which means more fish for me!
[signature]
Hey Pat, come clean up my yard and winterize my house, and I'll go out tubing this weekend. Deal?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Don't sound like a very good deal to me...for me. Might be good for you.

I just got back from fishing. Got some nice walleyes at Utah Lake. See the post on the Utah board. I try to practice what I preach.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey there TubeDude,

Ya Ya ... Just because we have to make sure we never leave home for tubin' without that heavy-duty ice pick and, later in the season, that handy dandy ice axe doesn't mean where wimps!

Besides, The only place seawater freezes to any extent is the arctic and antarctic.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 2]Obviously I did not have southern Cal in mind when I made the post. Howsomever, we haven't been getting any reports from your part of the country either.

Just trying to get some chatter goin'. Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities.

By the way, I am experimenting with some new vinyl metallic finish paints, in several colors. See the attached pic for some of the combos (with glitter) I am playing with. Can you see any potential? Wanna play with some?
[/size][/blue]

[signature]
Hey there TubeDude,

I won't shed any real tears! ha ha Those are truely beautiful works of art. I wouldn't let those nasty fishys be biting on those jigs. Your usual, top-notch, attention-to-detail, and masterful finish on those puppies is obvious.

In Japan, a magazine called Tackle had a contest where readers (in a bunch of different catagories) would submit their home-made stuff to win 100,000 yen (($1,000). You'd win!

Yes, I'm just about ready to shift into winter saltwater tubin' with the bonito rush we are experiencing. It's about 70 here right now so we are having a real cold spell!

JapanRon
[signature]
I could see testing some of those little critters. Perhaps with some of those Flashabou skirts. Just like JR said, the boneheads are all over the place.

I have been picking some off of the mole at Catalina that are running 20 to 22 inches. Further north, at the Channel Islands they are barely attaining lengths of 18 inches.

Perhaps you could have us sample some for you. If they work as good as the road runners then we should have no problem.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 2]I heard tell that you didn't have much time for fishing these days. Glad you don't have to work all the time.

I recently put together a list of the types of jig molds I have. I will attach the four pages. Let me know what style and size you would like and I will try to get some made up, after the hectic week we have ahead.

By the way, the purple metallic is your favorite Castaic color.

TubeDad
[/size][/blue]

[signature]
I have my fishing cut down to a quick trip to the pier on Friday nights and there is a good part of the day on Sunday. Just enough time for a 3/4 day boat followed by a 3/4 day nap.

I guess I should PM you with my choices. The choices all look so good. Purple is still good on many of the Castaic items although the color does change from time to time.
[signature]
I'm all prepared for fishing this fall. Yesterday I went out and bought a nice pair of 1.5 neoprene gloves[Image: thumbs_up.gif]
[signature]
Did you get the Shimano gloves??? They have a nice feature that allows you to open up the thumb and forefinger for easy tying of your lures and flies.[cool]
[signature]
No, I got that pair of gloves at a sporting goods store here in town, I think it was 'Maddog' brand. I saw those shimano ones and they looked really nice. This pair will work for only $20 though[cool]
[signature]