Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Colored Plastics
[cool][blue][size 2]Since my post on Lincoln Beach Friday, and my use of some custom colored plastics, I have had some requests for more info or pics on where to get them or how to make them.

I have been using a lot of different ways to mark up plastic lures over the years. Until good plastic dyes were widely available, I simply used permanent markers. They still work fine, but are more likely to bleed and lose their effectiveness over time.

For the last few years, I have been using worm dyes made by either SpikeIt or Fish Hawk. Several tackle outlets stock some of the more common colors, like chartreuse, black, blue, red, etc. But, I have had trouble finding some of the more exotic colors. I finally hunted up the Fish Hawk web site and ordered several new colors...including, green, junebug, watermelon, hot fluorescent red, etc.

I have posted a couple of pics here to show some of the better combos, using either clear sparkle or chartreuse sparkle. These are mainly walleye colors, but will take lots of other species too. Almost any dark color, in combination with chartreuse, will attract walleyes. Black is good. Purple has bee working well, as has blue and even dark green.

The dyes will work on most plastics, but the colors will be more true if you start with either a clear sparkle or a white (or pearl) before applying the dye. If you are making a plastic with a chartreuse tail, you can start with a chartreuse sparkle plastic and simply dye the top part the desired color. If you startwith a clear sparkle, you will also have to use chartreuse dye on the tail part.

I have found that there is a wide range of colors and reaction to different dyes among the platics produced by different manufacturers. In the same basic color, some plastics will turn out quite a bit different when dyed the same color with which you dye the same color plastic made by another manufacturer. You just have to keep experimenting, and trying the different colors until the fish tell you what works best.

Being able to custom solor your own plastics not only enables you to show the fish something they have not seen before, but lets you recycle old faded out plastics into hot new colors. Whites, pearls and clear sparkles are all colors that tend to get dingy after awhile in your tackle box. They are also some of the ones that take the dyes best.
[/size][/blue]

[signature]
I am sitting here dying plastics as we speak. Something new to try tomorrow. Thanks for the wisdom, i think I am on my way, even have plans to get a lead melting pot and a few casts to get going there.

Thanks again.
[signature]
Nice way to spend time with the family [url "javascript: top.editor_iframe.addTag('Wink')"][Wink][/url]. You got little cutie pie Taylor helping you too?
[signature]
Actually she is. Wife is running errands so I am helping her with some "Art". Wink
[signature]
[black]That dye in the upper right hand corner, Isn't that the dye for your hair piece?[Wink][/black]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 2]You have me Confused with "THE DONALD". You're fired.
[/size][/blue]

[signature]