Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archery Hunters Encouraged To Record Coordinates Of Deer Stands
[size 2]PIERRE, S.D. – Because archery hunting, unlike other hunting activity, is usually done alone, Game, Fish and Parks officials recommend that all bowhunters record the coordinates of their archery tree stands with a Global Positioning Unit (GPS). These coordinates should be left with someone who can forward it on to emergency personnel if the archer does not return as expected.[/size]
[size 2]"Since the majority of bowhunters hunt from tree stands, and because tree stands are the location from where an unfortunate mishap is most likely to occur, knowing the location of the tree stand would greatly benefit any search and rescue team," said Lincoln County Conservation Officer Tom Petry. "While serving as a GFP Conservation Officer in Lincoln County, I have received a number of calls from concerned family and friends about an overdue hunter. Fortunately, in each case, either the hunter was tracking a deer they had shot or were experiencing vehicle problems." [/size]
[size 2]Sitting for hours on a stand in cold temperatures can leave a person quite stiff, and when climbing down out of the stand, a slip on a snow-covered step can lead to a fall and serious injury. Carrying a bow with a quiver full of sharp broadheads and a hunting knife on the belt only adds to the potential for harm.[/size]
[size 2]"When I have received calls regarding overdue hunters, the first question I ask is, ‘Do you know where they are hunting?’," Petry said. "The answer I am most commonly given is ‘Newton Hills.’ Starting with the proverbial needle in a haystack does not lend itself to a quick solution. The most critical piece of knowledge for any search and rescue team is knowing where to begin the search. Equipped with that information, and using night vision and thermal scanning capabilities, an injured hunter, who may not be able to respond to calls, will be found as quickly as possible."[/size]
[size 2]Recording the coordinates with a GPS system is much quicker and more reliable than trying to leave a detailed written description of a stands location. "Those of us who archery hunt know the difficulties in locating our own stands in the dark, let alone, trying to describe to someone else how to find it," Petry noted. "Weather and changing seasons can further complicate following a written description."[/size]
[size 2]One of the watchwords given to young hunters in Hunt Safe classes is to plan your hunt, and hunt your plan. Taking the time to record the coordinates of your tree stand and leaving that information with a responsible party might just make the difference between a successful rescue and the alternative no one wants to think about–recovering a body.[/size]
[signature]