Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS Maps....
Anyone know of a good website to download topo maps that will work on my Garmin GPS unit or do I need to by the Mapsource program? Thanks!
Bigcat
[signature]
There is lots of software available for maps. Many are compatible with a GPSk but not compatible in the sence that you can load the maps onto your unit. To show map detail on your GPS you have to use Garmin's Mapsource program. If you just want software to download and upload coordinates then most map softwares will work.

Some people will tell you different, but I have been using and selling Garmins, and other makes, for about three years and I have never seen any other software work.

It is too bad that it is so expensive, it makes it nice if you know someone who already has the program, or if you can split the cost with a friend.

I hope this helps.
[signature]
You can also try some of the shareware sites on the net like Kazaa. You may be able to download and use the full program for free.
[signature]
eBay is a great place to get cheaper copies of the mapsource programs. Just make sure you are getting the most recent versions to have the most accurate info on them. I think you can see what the most recent versions are by visiting Garmin's website. Also, the sellers selling the most recent versions do make a point of advertising it in their listings. If it doesn't say what version, ask the seller before bidding.
[signature]