Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spinney Again
A little tougher than last week.

Started the morning at the river and caught three fish, (two small bows and a decent Brown) On Pheasant Tails.

Spent the last four and half hours at the lake and caught four Bows between 20-22 inchs on jigs again. They were very sluggish today and would only nip the tail of the Vibra Fin Leech. Another guy there caught a big trout that was stuffed with crawdads on a tube jig. I switched to 3" Power Craw with orange claws and caught the last three on that.

You guys will find this funny! I fish with yellow Fireline when the wind is blowing hard so I can feel the pickups and have some control over my line in gail force winds. There were two flyfisherman fishing close to the boat ramp as I was working my way to my usual spot. They were "kind" enough to inform me that trout would never bite on such highly visable line! I just Smiled and said I needed it to throw my spinnerbaits! I hear there are some really big Largemouths in here![Tongue]
[signature]
Pretty funny story, Neal! Thanks for the report. Sonds like a fine day.

So I guess I can quit tieing the fluorocarbon leader to my Fireline?? Seriously, I've always wondered about that. I've always heard that the green Fireline basically becomes invisible in the underwater environment, even in ultraclear water. Is that your experience?
[signature]
Actually I still use a floro leader. I just didn't tell them that!
[signature]
In my experience trout, (and any fish, including the largemouths which actually fairly line shy around here) are very line shy. You don't want to use too light of line though, ever, or you will fight a high percentage of these fish to metabolic acidosis because of fighting them so long. Flyfishing elitists on the fryingpan and roaring fork rivers are especially guilty of this, as I have seen many trout die do to what seemed like nothing, but on further analysis was metabolic acidosis. Trout won't mind any line from the 2-8 lb range, however. (4 lb. test is optimal in crystal clear with 6 optimal in anything but the most clear.)

But then again, trout can not be line shy at times. In my experience big trout, especially browns, are the most flagrantly aggressive fish.
[signature]
A friend owns a fly shop here in the Denver area and one day about 25 years ago (before my friend had done much warm water fishing) a grizzled old fella in overalls with a southern drawl wandered in and asked if they had any 25 lb. test monofilament. Being accustomed to talking about 6X, 7X, or 8X leaders for finnicky trout in ultraclear water, my friend asked this southern transplant what in the world he wanted 25 lb. test mono for. His response was "Bass fishin'". My buddy asked, "With 25 lb. line, do you get much fight out of 'em?"

The old basser replied, "You can play with 'em after ya get 'em in the boat."
[signature]