Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelheads in SOCAL??
[cool][font "Californian FB"][#005000]A recent article in the California Game & Fish magazine discusses plans to demolish the Ventura Matilija Dam. The plan specifies that the dam will be removed during a two year deconstruction that enable fish passage to happen promptly. For more information click onto this site.[/#005000][/font]

[url "http://www.amrivers.org/planreleasedforhistorymakingremovaloflargesoutherncaliforniadam.html"][font "Californian FB"][black][/black][/font][/url][font "Californian FB"][#bf0000][url "http://www.amrivers.org/planreleasedforhistorymakingremovaloflargesoutherncaliforniadam.html"]http://www.amrivers.org/...rncaliforniadam.html[/url][/#bf0000][/font][#bf0000]
[/#bf0000]
[signature]
Hey there Dryrod,

Thanks for the heads up. When salmon begin appearing in the edo river which runs through downtown Tokyo (as they are!) salmon can return just about anywhere I guess.

A San Diego fly fishing club (maybe Sierra ????) is trying to restore both trout and steelhead habitat from an interview I heard recently.

JapanRon
[signature]
That sounds like it should be some fun. I haven't caught any steelies in years. Wooooooo[cool]
[signature]
I have been hearing about this dam removal for years. The bureaucrats don't like the concept because it might catch on. Here in northern California we have a stream called Alameda Creek which empties into the San Francisco Bay at the south end. Old timers dammed, diverted and wiered this little thing to death, yet the steelhead kept coming back. Although in dwindling numbers. Finally, it looks like they are going to remove some of the lower barriers.

The problem with dam removal is the silt that builds up behind them over the years. Removal has to be a slow process or you will wipe out the river below the dam. As I heard it they plan to "notch" the dam and let the silt disburse more slowly. One can only hope that once the process begins budgets and bureaucrats will allow the completion.
[signature]
Unfortunately for me that was one of my favorite fishin' holes...[Sad]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Hi there leadslinger and thanks for your input. Yes I have also read about dealing with the massive silt build up behind dams of this nature. Will check with Trout Unlimited as to their thought on dealing with the silt problem.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
The Matalija Damn still stands. Their plans to disable it are still on hold. There are other Steelies in So Cal but most of them are off limits anyways.

Malibu creek has an active population of just over 1300 according to the last Fish and Game report that I got from the primary biologist for my region.

There is still some good seasonal Steelhead fishing in the American River. I used to fish them quite a bit when I was younger and living in the area.

It used to be a daily ritual to get a limit of Trout for dinner as well as 2 nice Salmon or Steelhead for the smoker.

If we could even get some C&R Steelies in So Cal, I would probably resort back to using the Flyswatter as my primary weapon.[cool]
[signature]
I chased a Two foot long Steelie for about 20 yards 'till I took a spill. This occured at the Trabuco creek underpass at the 5 fwy in San Juan Capistrano on 10/10/08. By the way, it is possible to completely submerge yourself in 8 inches of water right before your kids Volleyball game. I'm dripping proof!
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Really? Might have been a drone.[Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[center]
[signature]