Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help, jigging for crappie
I hate to ask, but I'm a pretty old dog, that needs to learn a new trick... I wish to learn how to catch Crappie useing jigs... I have spinning gear, 6lb test line, and a large lake in Texas. I need suggestioms on types of lures and plastics and how to work them. And suggestions on spots and depths to fish. I've always used minnows and never took crappie very serious before, so I hope I can get some help.... Thankyou,[unsure] scoob
[signature]
Hay Scoob,
Nice to see ya! When it comes to them crappie, DaveTClown up on the Ice Fishing Board is your answer. Give him a holler and he will give you some tips that will put you and them crappie together like a glove. Are you still going for them cats at night? Just remember I am going to see you for that plate of cats in April!!!
Was thinking of setting up a group meet Down in Port Aransas in April of some BFT anglers. Was thinking of fishing eather the Caldwell pier or down the island at the Bob Hall pier. If I can get enough people together I can set up a charter for bay fishing for under $30 a person. What do you think?
[signature]
[Smile]Hey Ssor, Things are a little messy down here, That tropical depression drop a lot rain and my fishing partner's (brother-in-law) house down at Galveston got caught in the tidal surge and flooded the ground level, we're cleaning up now... All last week we've been working on that Mobil Home down at the lake, tried to take a break and do some fishing at the lake, but the wind and rain just wouldn't work with me. But don't you worry I'll have plenty of catfish come April. You'll have to get back to me on that fishing charter, I'm just not real comfortable on those big boats. But I may take a day or two and fish those Piers. later scoob
[signature]

[Image: CRAPPY%20plug%20sm.jpg]

Jusst about any small soft plastics on jigheads catch crappie most months out of the year. Add to the list small crankbaits, Rapalas, small spinnerbaits, bass poppers, etc. you've got a fish a 5 year old could catch!

Some ideas for the most guarenteed soft plastics:

1/16 and 1/8 oz. unpainted roundhead jigs

3" Tripple Ripple grubs (bubblegum/chart tail)

3" Bass Pro caterpillar grub (chart/black flake)

Hoo daddys (junebug)

Bass Pros Tri-color crappie grub

3 or 4" Bass Pro's Spring Grub ( chart., Stp, appleseed or clear/black flake /chart. tail)

small 2" tubes (chart/ sparkle)

The above are mutispecies baits so don't be surprised to catch bass or pike!

After you rig the bodies onto the jig, cast them out, twitch just after touchdown, slowly retrieve, twitch some more and slowly swim back toward you. The strike is an unexpected 'bow' in the line or a perceptible tick. Use a 3' leader of 14 lb. test Fireline or Fusion braid. Sensitivity and hookups will astound you!

Poppers thrown to the rise or where crappies are within a few feet of the surface, get viscious crappy strikes; ditto for 2.5" silver floating Rapala minnow plugs twitched on surface and down to 6".

I love my Scrappy Crappie. When the bass bite is slow, they keep things interesting. Get into a school and 40 lbs. of crappy is not unusual!

I've given you info that works anywhere, anytime. Use it and good luck!
[signature]
First thing you will need is a crappie starter kit

After you have one and used every thing in the kit and learned how to target them taistie little critters You will end up building your own crappie arsenal with only the tings that you need. To help you pick out a starter kit I looked up a nice one that I think is reasonably priced. If you try to perches all the items individually they will cost you a arm and a toe nail.

Below I have pulled up the information from here at bigfishtackle super store. Just click on the pic to take you directly to the order page.

[center] [url "http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=18609&hvarTarget=search"][Image: 45298.jpg][/url][/center]

Uncle Buck's® Crappie Kit

119-piece collection of Uncle Buck's personal favorites--everything from Marabou Jigs and other leadheads to Paddle Bugs, Curly Bugs, Curly Tail Bugs, and Uncle Buck's Crappie Bugs--in a hard plastic tackle box. Assorted colors and sizes.
[signature]
[Image: Earthworm.gif] I know you would prefer to get out on the ice to do yer crappie fissin and that is understandable. I prefer my crappie fissin done on the ice as well. But seeing as you will be having a shortage of ice this year in your area unless you want to drive up to sum higher climates in Colorado or Nevada you will have to settle for open water fissin for them calico bass as they are sometimes called.

[Image: Earthworm.gif] There are two verities of calico “black” and “white”. The white calico are white with black spots and the black calico are black with white spots (very distinctive in features but once you have caught both you will forever know the different subtleties). The one in the pic above is a black calico and a nice one at that. They are a pretty fish and fun to catch.

[Image: Earthworm.gif] Calicos are a clean water fish and when you target a school you will definitely be in for sum exciting action with them little scrappers. The largest one I have ever was 17 inches in length and 10 inches in height. One filet filled the bottom of the fry pan. Might I say the he was a scraper too. I had hooked in to him trolling from a rowboat (no motor) using a 3-inch silver diving Repalla.

[Image: Earthworm.gif] However most of my calicos are caught bobber fissin when on open or on ice covered water. With a worm or a minnow or a bug of the season. (larva, crickets, bees)
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]COMMON NAME:[/#663300] BLACK CRAPPIE[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]OTHER NAMES:[/#663300] PAPERMOUTH, SPECKS[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]SCIENTIFIC NAME: [/#663300][#000011]Pomoxis nigromaculatus[/#000011][/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]RANGE AND HABITAT:[/#663300] Less common than white crappie. Found in larger ponds, lakes, rivers, and inshore waters. Prefers clearer lakes and rivers with an abundance of aquatic vegetation or submerged timber.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]FOOD:[/#663300] Young crappies feed on zooplankton and larval insects during their first year of life; as adults, they switch to a diet of small fish.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]ADULT SIZE:[/#663300] Usually 6-12 inches, but can reach lengths of up to 18 inches, and weigh over 4 pounds.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]IDENTIFICATION:[/#663300] Golden or olive-green back with silvery sides. Back and sides boldly speckled with dark blue or black blotches. Dorsal fin, anal fin, and tail contain many dark worm-like markings, giving the appearance of a dark fin with white spots. Dorsal fin usually contains 7-8 spines.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]FISHING TIPS:[/#663300] April through June fish close to shore in areas with vegetation, brush, docks, etc. for spawning crappies. During summer and early fall, fish deeper areas along old creek channels, roadbeds, and submerged points and humps. Crappies move back inshore later in the fall. Best baits are live minnows, small jigs, doll flies, and spinners.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]COMMON NAME:[/#663300] WHITE CRAPPIE [/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]OTHER NAMES:[/#663300] PAPERMOUTH, SPECKS[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]SCIENTIFIC NAME: [/#663300]Pomoxis annularis[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]RANGE AND HABITAT:[/#663300] Found especially in larger ponds, lakes, rivers, and inshore waters. Tolerant of a wide variety of habitats and conditions including areas of silt and turbidity. Usually found near structure such as fallen trees, stumps, docks, rocks, and aquatic vegetation.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]FOOD:[/#663300] Young crappies feed on zooplankton and larval insects during their first year of life; as adults they switch to a diet of small fish.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]ADULT SIZE:[/#663300] Usually 6-12 inches, but can reach lengths of up to 18 inches and weigh over 3 pounds.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]IDENTIFICATION:[/#663300] Olive or brownish-green back with silvery white sides. Back and sides have 5-10 dusky or black vertical bands. Spiny dorsal fin, anal fin, and tail contain a combination of dark spots and bands. Dorsal fin typically contains 5-6 spines.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 1][#663300]FISHING TIPS:[/#663300] April through June fish close to shore in areas with brush, stumps, docks, etc. for spawning crappies. During summer and early fall, fish deeper areas along old creek channels, roadbeds, and submerged points and humps. Crappies move back inshore later in the fall. Best baits are live minnows, small jigs, doll flies, and spinners.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 1][/size][/font]
[signature]
[size 2]by the way your rod and reel setup is fine and the line weight is good too allthough I would sugest that you use a 4 pound leader. them crappie can at times be lockjawed if they notice your line.[/size]

[size 2]keep your line fresh (replace anualy at least) [/size]

[size 2]when using bobbers use small ones they can sometimes be sencitive to any drag and let go. [/size]

[size 2]when jigging over the side of the boat please be advised that you are liable to hook in to anything so hold on to your pole (shord 3 inch up and downs with time between and and ocational 3 foot up and down will bring them over to inspect your setup if they are in the area).[/size]

[size 2]now that you have all the information needed to find and catch them specks make sure you con back with a pic[/size]
[signature]
[Smile] THANKYOU, I'M ON MY WAY...... scoob
[signature]