Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sep. 7, 2002 - West Beach - Santa Barbara
We got in the water around 7:30 or so and stopped by the bait receiver for a few casts for nothing. Then we kicked over to the sandbar and fished a high point (about 15 feet surrounded by 20 - 25 foot depths). We weren't there 5 minutes when Bryan hooks up and it's not a halibut. His rod starts bouncing all over the place (seabass head shakes) and it starts taking him for a ride. Instead of helping him like I did with his seabass last time I decided to keep fishing hoping there would be more. After a couple casts I hook up but it's a sub-legal flatty (around 20 - 21"). After I release it Bryan finally lands his fish and it's a nice 10 pounder (32 inches). I keep trying and get another strike. This one a seabass for sure but small. Turned out to be around 24". Bryan misses one then I hook up again right next to the tube. This time a better fish - lots of runs and a good head shakes. It was right at 28 inches - released. The bite died after that except for a couple legal sand bass. Fished around the sand bar and over near the wharf for another couple hours for nothing. Lures used were 5" Mackerel Big Hammer and Rebel Fastrac.

[image]http://www.petenjen.com/photo/photos/2002/020907a.jpg[/image]
[signature]
LeapinBass,
Sure was a nice report, Thanks. Have you thought of putting that pic on "The Wall of Fame"? Looks like a winner to me!!!! Besides the Utah group has the top 3 right now and we want to add some more compitition for them. That pic will definatly give them a good run.[Smile]
[signature]