Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P-LINE/ Floroclear
When Florocarbon lines first came out, they were worthless except for leader material. I was very unhappy with the way they performed if used as a main line.

This summer I bought some Floroclear. I put the 8lb on one spool. Floroclear is a Copolymer line coated with a Florocarbon coating. So far I really like it! It casts well and is excellent for vertical jigging. I have been catching alot of big trout up at Spinney casting jigs with it, and using it as leader material. It seems to be invisable to the fish and is very strong!

I bought a spool of the 10 lb, to put on another spool last night. All my braided line spools now have a leader of Floroclear. Has anybody else tried it?
[signature]
Neal-

I've been using theb 8 lb. and the 12 lb. for leader material this year and I have no complaints. I also have one of my lake trout jigging rods spooled with the 12b lb. but I haven't fished with it enough as a main line to have any opinions one way or the other.

I've used the 12 lb. as a leader material on 14 lb. Fireline for jigging lakers for about a year now and have been very happy with it. It has good knot strength and doesn't seem to fray, at least so far.
[signature]
I used 14 lb. fireline for macks through the ice last Winter. There was some freezing but with a fairly heavy jig and using a baitcast reel it was tolerable. I wouldn't try ice fishing with a spinning reel filled with Fireline though.

For plain old trout and walleye and panfish through the ice, and for using small, light baits I'll stick with monofilament.
[signature]
I tried 8 & 10 lb. Vanish on baitcast and spinning reels several years ago and hated the stuff. It would delaminate or fray, almost like string cheese does when you pull it apart. I still have some leftover 8 lb. on a spool that I use for leader material, but never again as a main line for me! And I check it over real carefully before I use it for leader material.

For ice fishing for trout I still have some 4 & 6 and 8 lb. Berkley Ultra-Thin that I use. I bought up a bunch several years ago when I found out it was going to be discontinued. I really like that stuff for ice fishing - plenty strong and it seems to be limper than lots of similar # test lines.
[signature]