Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With Cast Nets........
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the regulations concerning the use and size of cast nets on Lake Mead? Any brands better than others? Also what are some of the more productive ways of throwing one and techniques for catching shad for live bait? Thanks in advance for any information you can help me with![/size][/font]
[signature]
Hi Bear lake, I have been using a 9 foot Diameter cast net, not sure of the Manufacturer, mine came with some basic instructions but there are videos available. my best advice is to pratice throwing it on the lawn and make sure to soak it in water before using it, this softens up the mono and lets it open easier.
and yes cast nets are legal in Nevada.

Your best bet to finding Shad is to look in the backs of coves in the early AM, just before sunrise (6:20 AM today) A good bait tank is needed as the water temps are in the 80 degree range right now and with the water that hot the oxygen level is low so it is imperitive to have good flow of fresh water to the bait (5 to 7 Min fill time for a 30 Gallon tank) or die off will occur. also try not to overload your baitwell I find that 30-40 pieces are about all I ever need.

Post a report and let us know how you do.
[signature]

I'm headed down on the 20th of this month to give it a go. Fortunately there will be guys who know hte game that I'm trying to figure out. Thanks for the advice, I need it!
[signature]