Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead - Halloween Day
Found trailer light problem about 4 Sunday morning and so waited till 9 for West Marine to open. Of course they were closed. Jumped the bad connection and launched about 10:30 AM. Over to the Las Vegas Wash - wind out of northwest about 17. Saw some good arches at 25 ft on the graph near the 2 rock reef - they may have been carp however. Did 4 drifts casting swimbait and soft Storm crankbait - nothing. Noticed carp sunning themselves near the surface. Moved out to the channel and spooned in 45 ft. Picked up one striper.

Went up to 33 Hole, but wind made boat conrol difficult and there were good number shore fisherman so pulled out and went to 3 Finger Cove; wind shifted to North, about 10 knots, and blowing straight into the coves. Ran in one cove and graphed for baitfish - very little sign. Back out to main channel and sign at 100 ft in 130 ft. Spooned for another hour and couldn't keep the boat over the baitfish schools in the wind. Returned to Boulder Basin at 4:30 and fished the backwater off launch - nothing. Water surface temp there at 5:00PM was 68.5 degrees. Definitely cooling off from 2 weeks ago
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] Thanks for the report. You are a bolder man than me for taking that Lake in the wind.

Take care,
David
[signature]
Nice report! Fishing in the wind is better than no fishing at all. Let's all hope for great conditions this weekend! I'll be out on Lake Mead Sunday morning. Hope to see you out there.
BaySport
[signature]
First time I fished that area with wind out of the NW and N. Wind sometimes really activates the stripers. Found that on Mead stripers hang in the cuts between islands to ambush food brought in by the currents.

North wind really changed how one approaches the lies. Been concentrating my efforts in that one area because of the shad presence and to learn how to catch those largemouth in the fall on Mead. Been reading up on the internet for some fall and early winter patterns. Got a good sense of where the best spots are in 3 Finger Cove and passing aquaintance with 33 Hole, the shallow at the Wash Inlet, and some areas in the channel and in Gov't Wash. Now really seems like the bass on getting transitioned into a winter pattern. Personally I'd like another session of warm weather.

Many times observed first big storm cycle arriving around Halloween and then getting warmer after storms pass through.

Never been through the Saddle area with a north wind and so erred on side of caution. Did take some spray going out and coming in and next time Gortex Shell for me.

On footgear - I've been wearing socks with the sandals. Personally like to run the Motorguide with bare feet. Thats' just me.

We are working an intensive schedule trying to meet deadline on finish carpentry at this Marriott down by convention center and might have to work Sunday.
[signature]