Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help with Bass fishing?
I have recently started bass fishing. I went out in a boat for the first time with this guy from Church.

I found out very quickly that I was not prepared for bass fishing. My line was old and I didn't even know how to setup the worm and hook.

My friend from Church was very helpful, he taught me alot of stuff that day.

My problem is I have a hard time knowing when I'm getting a hit from the fish.

I hooked two bass that day. We were fishing along the bank and I had gotten hung several times on lily pads.

The first bass I hooked, I truly thought I was just hung again. So I gave my rod a good tug to see if I could get my hook free from the lily pad. It didn't budge, so I jerked it again and it jerked back. It totally freaked me out. I started reeling like mad. I got him within 5-10 feet of the boat and he jumped up out of the water and spit the hook out.

The second fish I hooked, I never even saw him. It felt like he was going to pull me out of the boat. It snapped that old line like a piece of thread.

Is their a trick to knowing when you are really getting a hit? When do you set the hook?

Bass fishing is so complicated. So lures, colors to choose from. I have been reading a ton of magazines and getting stuff from the net.

My friend caught 3 huge bass that day. I'll get em next time though. If I can just learn the difference between knowing when they are hitting and when I'm just hung on something.
[signature]
[cool]man i know what you mean, i'm new to bass fishing too.it's a lot different than i remember when i was a kid. two weeks ago i lost a brand new rod and reel ,dropped my cellphone in the water and fell out of the boat, but caught 3 bass.one glomed onto my line as i was movin to new place ,with my pole hangen over the boat,another in lilly pads i didn't know i even had him and the last stuck in grass tryin yo get out.i never knew when any of them hit till i had them.

i
[signature]
[size 2][size 1]Hello Bass Anglers,[/size]

[size 1]Your definitely right, it seems Bass Fishing (fishing in general) has become quit the science, everyone is always looking for anything that will give them that little edge. Manufacturers are always coming out with new products that give you a little bit more of an edge, and there are so many more techniques then when we were all younger. [/size]

[size 1]As a kid I don't ever remember worrying about line weight, leader weight, action, rod weight, reel specs, hook size, and all the other variables that can give you the edge you need. In those days if it had line on it, I had a hook, and I could gig up some worms I was good to go![/size]

[size 1]Its funny though, the more I fish the more I enjoy all the variables. Besides the love of the catch, the quite time on the water, the chance to get away from stresses of life, i really love the "CHESS" aspect of fishing. What I mean by that is it is fun for me to try the different things I've learned over the years to raise that stubborn fish, or twike things enough to turn a slow day into a productive day, and best of all there is no silver bullet for catching fish so it is so much fun when you do![/size]

[size 1]The best thing for learning the difference between a snag and a bite and knowing what lure to use, or knowing which technique to use is time on the water. If you are interested in fast tracking your learning curve, I recommend a local guide. One day with a guide (besides usually getting were the fish are) can rally teach you some great tricks of the trade. I have been fortunate to have been on a few guided trips and have found guides to be very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. Good Luck and hope to see ya on the water![/size][/size]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
i fish for bass 90 percent of the time.i would suggest berkley rubber worms hooked up weedless on a light or medium action rod.the light action rod or medium you will be able to tell when the bass hit it.plus i use 8 pound test on one rod and 4 on the other.it takes alot of practise to get used to what it feels like when you are fishing for bass.your best bet is weedless because you will snag less.on stump and weeds and lili pads.spinner baits and poppers work good but it will depend on what the lake is like.if you need more help let me know
[signature]
Bass fishing is a great sport,,,Their are many techniques but if you are just starting out keep it simple ,,,most of us anglers who have been fishing for these hawg jaws for a wile really make it much harder than it has to be,,Think about this the next time you go fishing we are taking PH samples ,,water temps surface & at differant depths,,checking water clearity at differant depths,,,looking for structure or cover,,,water depths,, which way the wind blows checking astrological or moon charts,,,looking for baitfish,,, or watching the birds to see where they are catching their food,,LOL,,,wile all along you most likely are sitting on a point on the lake catching bass on a Berkley Power worm while we are still trying to find out where the fish are and why they are or arent in the places we are fishing LOL

PS: dont worrie about weather you have a bite or a snag you will know it takes time on the water but you will be ok if you fish as much as you can Remember bass fishing is not a matter of life or death,, Its more than that,,,LOL
[signature]
WHAT KIND OF REEL WAS YOU USEING OPEN FACE OR CLOSED?Sounds like you need to put some new line on your reel.You can always test your line before you go fishing if you can wrap it around your hand and break it change it.4/8lbs test hmm that sounds good for a perch or crappie more like 17to 20 when fishing in the river or a lake for good bass,if you can find 4/8 test thats good then try it.Try a texas rigged worm for the lilly pads,are maybe a weedless frog anything weedless.Other than learning the feel for the bite that takes practice,the more you fish helps.A good rod helps,you can check out the rod's tip by sticking the tip to a throat lol touching see if you can feel the viberation thru the rod.dont poke nobody lol ask your friend.Keep fishing
Hi Patrick,

Looks like everybody gave you some pretty good advice. Fishing plastics is a great place to start when bass fishing because it's an easy technique to learn. As with any sport it is important to use good quality equipment. That doesn't mean you have to go out and get the most expensive stuff you can find, but a good quality rod, reel and properly sized line will go a long way towards enhancing your enjoyment of the sport. When worm fishing I use a medium action 6'6" Kistler rod and a Shimano Curado SF 200 reel spooled with 12 to 14lb line. You will be amazed at the difference a good rod makes, it will transmit every little vibration the bait makes and will begin to give you a good idea of what the bait is doing and what the bottom is like. It may (will) be aggravating at first because you'll think everything you feel is a fish! One of the pro's I fish with told me something many years ago that really help me learn the difference between bumps from logs, rocks, grass and Bass. "Hook sets are Free" If you feel something and you're not sure if it's a fish, Set the Hook!! If it's a fish maybe you'll get him if it's not you start to learn the subtle differences. No one wants to look silly from setting the hook when nothing is there, but it's the best way to learn and catch fish.

Tight Lines!

John
[signature]
I can be overwhelming when you're first starting out bass fishing. There's so much to learn. Where to begin?

Try [url "http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html"]http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html[/url] where you'll find articles designed specifically for you. Even if you're not a beginner, there may be a trick or two in these articles for you. They contain useful tips and information every angler needs to know.
[signature]
I just pull the line whenver I feel a tug or see the line twitch. I probably scare off the fish doing that. [laugh]
[signature]
Hello Patrick,
I'm not an expert, but here are a few things that might help. WORM-Texas Rig: First if it is a calm(wind) I start by using smaller weight(1/8th), this gives me a better fill for the hits. You will also be able to tell the difference between weeds & a hit. I keep the line as tight as I can at all times & I will work the worm with my rod tip from the 2:00 position to the 12:00 position.
If it is windy I go to a heavier weight(1/4 or more). This will cause the worm to sink deeper in the weed, so you will have to jiggle the tip so the bait will work through the weeds. Alot of the hits with a heavier weight will come when the bait is falling. When I get a hit,I reel down not to disturb the baits position and set the hook hard & fast.
I hope these ideas help in your next fishing trip.
Good Fishing,
Flashm64