Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Given up on willard fo awhile
[cool]Fished last night and nothin. Has anyone heard anything good about bass at Echo? Want to try there this week.
[signature]
[size 4]I heard a decent report from there earlier in the year, but the report was just size not numbers. Shoot, jordanelle sounds like the spot to be for bass this year. All reports say big smallmouth and plenty of them. If I was looking for a bass this weekend thats where I would be headed. The last time I drove past echo it was pretty low, so I would assume the fish are hanging on shallow structure rather than any type of cover. You know what that means! Pull out the jig n pig or the tube and work the bottom along the dropoffs. You ever fish football head jigs, using the drag technique? That may be a producer with the current conditions. [/size]
[Sad]I fished there a couple of years ago and all I caught was small ones. Please make a post on how you do. It would be nice if you can find some big ones. Predator I have tried the football head tech and It dose work but I'm still partial to the old faithful tube jigs.
[signature]
Hey Scooter

If you want to get into Jordnell Smallies,There is a method that works for me,and over time has proven successful every time I go to jordanell,First find the perch,a good place to look is the old highway that comes into the lake on the north end,look right off the road in 18' to 21' you will start seeing fish in as little as 12' but there the small perch,catch a perch,fillet keeping the skin on the fillet,cut into 1/2" wide 3"lengths,and put it on a 1/8 ounce jig head no plastic just the hook and the meat,the big piece of meat will keep the small pearch Off,vertical jig,let it down to the bottom,and just lift it slowly to see if a fish has picked it up,if you fill the weight of the fish set the hook,Be ready for some JUMBO perch and some Big Smallies,May not be the way some people want to fish for smallies,but I found that the smallie in Jordnell can be caught this way and have caught some fish that are close to 20" with this method,The Road bed is a favorite spot,and always gets me some nice smallies,and great big perch,Word of caution,if you try fishing it casting,your going to snag up almost always,vertical jigging will get you in the fish and save you some jig heads.

TIGHT LINES

Tony
[signature]
[size 4]I have a question for you, what time of year are you doing this? Not that I am a smallmouth or jordanelle expert, but I would have thought that 20 ft deep would be a tad deep in a cooler high elevation lake. I am not saying your wrong, I am just thinking that next time I am up there maybee I need to try fishing deeper that I usually do. I understand that the fish move out deeper into cooler water during the winter period so I was wondering if you were catching them this way in the early spring before they moved up into the shallows, or if you find them there all year long. 20 feet is not that deep, but like I say, I just figured them fish would be hanging a little closer to the top. Would love to find out that I am wrong. Always looking for more good info. Another thing that surprised me was the area you are fishing, that road bed goes a long ways, but if you are on the north end, thats a high traffic area, all the float tubers and kick boaters put in right there. I hear that the brush around that bay where the river comes in holds some mighty largemouth but all I have ever caught out of jordanelle is the smallies. [/size]
Predator when the water warms up in the summer you will find that the smallies will move out a little deeper into the cool water. Now I'm not saying they all move out deep but I have caugtht smallies all the way out to 50 ft in the summer before. It seems to me the smaller fish are up in the shallower water at least during the day. The bigger fish that hang in the 10 to 20 ft range will move up at night and early morning into the shallows.
[signature]
I would say there in the area from late spring to late fall,I have found that in early spring the bigger fish are right on the road bed,they are there tell the water reachs mid 70's,then they can be found on the side of the road bed from then on thru the summer into fall,when you get over there,there are actually two roads that come down in,The big road that is the farthest to the north is were I fish,There are some shore anglers that wade out on the road,but they are not even close to where I'm fishing,you get there the road is 10' deep across the bay,drop off the side when you see fish in 15' to 25' of water you have found big perch with smallie mixed in,fish the way I siad too and you will catch some smallie that you wouldnt expect to come out of jordanell.BIG!,I was so suprised when I first found them to be so big,you will catch some around 12-14inchs but you will catch some up to 20inchs,I was up there about three weeks ago and they are still hanging out with the big perch,some times its fast and furious,sometimes you have to let the jig sit on the bottom for around 30seconds before you lift it off,Lift slowly,then let it sit,keep doing this until you lift and you will fill the wieght of the fish,set the hook,Thats it,good luck and let use know how you did.

TIGHT LINES

Tony[Wink]
[signature]
Fishinfool did you weigh any of those 20 inche smallies. They would have to be in the four pound catagorie. Wow thats what I'm talking about thanks for the info maybe I'll have to try it.
[signature]