Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
snow shoes?
Been thinking about getting some snow shoes this year, but they are kind of spendy.

I could use some advice from someone who has used them, when buying snow shoes what do I look for and what do I stay away from?

Has anyone ever made there own snow shoes?
[signature]
I've personally never used snowshoes, but Sam's club usually has them in the winter.
[signature]
IceRod,
I don't know how much you are looking to spend but I could show you how to make some for less than $15 that work great for ice fishing. They don't work well on icy steep hills but just fine for getting down to the lake and out to your favorite ice hole with out sinking. Sometimes they are just enough to keep you from sinking into the slush layer as well. Send me a PM if your interested.
Bigcat
[signature]
Snowshoeing, ah, what fun, nothing like a stroll in the snow on a beautiful winter day. You can go trouncing around even run with them on. I've go several pairs. You can go cheap, and if you use them often they won't last the season. You can get a decent pair for under $100. If you go to Kirkims (how ever you spell it) you might be able to get a good pair of last years demo/rentals. My wife got a pair there for about $100 that usually cost $250 but they were last years rentals and they are really nice.

You need to look at the construction, the webbing, and the strapping. Red Feather makes a medium quality shoe, or you could bet the tennis raquet type Tubbs (they are really cheap now but bulky) Tubbs also makes some descent shoes. Stay away from the plastics. You want aluminum frames and rubber strapping, stay away from the lacing types of mounts, the laces come unraveled and become a mess. My wifes pair are made by Atlas "Summit Series". Look for webbing that is not rivited to the frame but wrap around the frame and is reinforced at the rivited, you want heavy webbing that is reinforced in the middle where the weight will be. Look around at the good sports shops, even ski rental shops, they usually sell off the rentals at the beginning of each year. GOod luck
[signature]