Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Venison in the Freezer
Last night at 3 minutes to 5 I took my first deer of the season. A forkhorn 4 pointer. Here in NY it is archery season and it has been windy keeping the deer down, but last night the wind shut down at about quarter till 5 and it was calm. This older buck just walked right up to my stand a good 20 yard shot. I nailed him high in the back right over the lungs, he ran about 80 yard and fell on the tree line before he hit the woods. It was all picture perfect, even the gutting went well because we moved the quad right in front of him and had all the light we needed.
I had shot a four pointer a week and a half ago and lost it, that really drags me down but last night harvest made my confidence rise again.
I use a Bear bow set at 65 pounds Wasp mechanical broad head on an Easton 1916 shaft. This set up flies very flat for me but doesn't carry a real good punch, so I have to limit my shots to 20 yards and under. I used to shot 2117 with a fixed broadhead, that worked good at longer ranges because it was a heavier set with excellent penitration but also you had to really play the drop.
Now that my confidence is back I can't wait for the next shot.
[signature]
Congradulations..... You the man....

I almost took several deer this year with my dakota.

Hope to take one during gun season. But I dont know how much I will be able to get out....
[signature]
bravoo,i lick to hear good stories like that.my season starts the 17th,and i am off for a week and a half.planning to put some meat in the freezer my self[Wink]
[signature]