Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Report - Callville Bay
Lake Mead, Callville Bay. Launch at 12:00 noon, light wind from the NE, 70º. Water temp 64.9. On and off light rain. Noted maybe 5 lb. striper with the carp at the dock. No shad or baitfish presence.
Park Service has done work to the launch, dredging and extra concrete slabs.

Coming out of the harbor, just between tires and no wake buoys saw largest ball of shad I’ve seen in 3 weeks at 50 ft. in 75 ft. water. Over to Callville Wall and started throwing a green tube/3/16 oz. alternating with dragging a shad pattern on shallower flats and points to 30 ft. Worked this for maybe 2 hours – changing the tube color from green to purple to light chartreuse/black speck, to smoke flake and finally to a shad silver and changing the weight to 1/8th oz.

Worked the cove north of the wall and whole wall north to south at 25 to 30 ft. No sign or little sign on the graph. Wind calm to variable at 7 mph and blowing from NE to SE. Precise boat control easy. Saw about 20 dead shad in about 10 ft on top of a reef

I began working back throwing LuckyCraft pointer crankbait and the tube. First bass at 2:30 on the tube, throwing shallow and the strike was at maybe 15 ft deep from a rock crevice. Missed another one just after. Small fish to maybe 13”.

Pulled off and went to 2nd point northwest of the wall. Several small reefs there. Wind is now blowing from SE and began throwing over the point and then up the bank on both sides. 2nd fish on crankbait in maybe 6 ft. Turned around and tried the spot again - no other bites.

4:00PM – returned to the Wall and began fishing dropshot shad type bait at same depth. First cast was strike – again small to 13”. Fished another 40 ft till I got hung and lost the dropshot rig. Wind was coming up and was getting to dark to see the line so back to the dock and truck.

So not really a pattern…I was surprised to find the bass holding so tight to structure. I’d like to find some larger fish. Maybe someone else on the forum can contribute their info. Thanks.
[signature]
Nice report, sounds like you had a great time! I did'nt make it out last weekend... way too much going on. This week will be different because I have four days off! I'm ready to make up four it. Perhaps I'll lanch at Callville Bay, sounds like the ramp is in good shape.
BaySport
[signature]