Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caught a few
We did pretty good yesterday. We put a few in the cooler. I'm still having problems with the planers, they just aren't going to work. I know they make those planers you tie off to a cleat, but i'm skepticle as to how well it would hold up at high speeds. The Wahoo were biting the Yo Zuri deep divers again. I just can't seem to get those Bonito's down deep enough for them. I have to change out the hooks on those bonito's too, the ones that come on them seem to get tangled really easily. Nothing pisses me off more than unhooking lures every 30 minutes. I've been waiting to hear from someone as to how they keep thier lures down at 10 + knotts, but no word yet. Though i'm catching fish, If I could get the lures down, and them stay down, I could be catching much Larger fish. Now that's keeping in mind i'm only using 40lb tackle, I don't like heavy tackle. I'm a sport fisherman, not a tow truck. There's gotta be a way. Oh, and does anyone have any good Mahi tactics I might be able to try out? Shoot em' my way. I'm not a big Mahi fisherman, but they are starting to run, and I wouldn't mind hanging a few. The ones i've caught were by accident, I would like to be able to isolate the species. Depth, speed, lures, colors, etc.... Hook me up boys
[signature]
Hey Bro. Most of us are on the slow troll methods. I am not that familiar with the faster trolling. I'm sure that someone will come on with something for you.

You might want to post something on the Mexico board or the Florida board. There could be a few members or guests that may be able to answer your question for fast trolling.

As far as the Mahis go, you need to get around some of the kelp patties and sit still. They love when you fly line a whole squid or mackeral. Just use a 1/4 to 3/8 oz sliding sinker above a swivel that is located 18 to 24" above your bait.

That also works for the dodos.[cool]
[signature]
Ok steve, I have a few questions. 1. How deep of water are you fishing in. We've got fathoms and fathoms of water, it's the deepest part of the world you know. I know I troll for wahoo in nothing over 300 feet, but Mahi is a whole other dog. And I get the carolina rig with the whole squid, but don't you need to keep the bait on top? Or are you casting it like a lure? A squid wouldn't last too long casting it, LOL, hell, they hardly last slow trolling with them. What about floating some, or drifting without any wieght on the line? If i'm not seeing any action on top of the water, is it even worth the stop? Hook a brother up. Ohhhhhh, and some goodies in the mail for ya, give it a week or so, mail's slow here in the pacific [cool] I like hitting those reefs on the outside, but my GPS barfed on me, so i'm pretty much swingin' in the wind as far as navigation goes. (but that's how I like it) [Tongue] I was thinking about anchoring in about 70 or 80 feet of water this weekend if the weather permits, and getting a chum going by the inshore reef, and seeing about some snapper or what ever bites. If I can jig up some live bait on those sambiki rigs, I think drifting some live bait, as well as dropping some deep would be the "tits." Maybe some big grouper, and there's no telling what will hit those floaters that close to that shallow reef. I know I can bet on some Jacks, maybe even a big, hungry wahoo or a peanut dolphin. Well, let me know what you think boss man,
[signature]
Live squid is the ticket. Fresh dead is also find. We both know that once you throw a live squid the wrong way it becomes fresh dead. I generally put them on a #2 circle hook.

Depth is a key factor. 20 to 30 fathoms to start but sometimes up to 60 can also be a plus. As I was taught not too long ago, "The birds can sometimes be one of natures best fishfinders".

When you find the seagulls and other sea birds bashing the top of the water, you know that there are somekind of baitfish around. A big enough school of baitfish and a little comotion form the birds will almost always attract the bigger fish to the area.

You need lighter gear to flyline your baits out. I generally like to use my graphtech 9 1/2 foot flipping stick with a Avet SX 5 to 1 ratio with the 15 or 20lb Trilene Big Game electric blue line. Add a light sliding sinker to pull it down. It takes awhile to get down but that is what triggers the strike.

Give it a shot and let me know if you need any more info. I will keep my eyes out for the Pony Express to arrive to my house.

Tight lines and Happy Fishing Bro.[cool]
[signature]
Have you tried downriggers for depth? As for mahi diving birds floating debris and drifting with a chum slick have produced them for me in the atlantic .Hope this helps.
[signature]