Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold
[size 4]Well, heres the report from starvation. If you consider we went down in search of walleye, it wasnt the best trip, if you factor in all the walleye, smallmouth trout and chub caught, it was a pretty decent day of fishing. As for the walleye, we caught them on the troll during the day. We set downriggers at 21 ft and trolled in front of the rabbit gulch bay where it drops off from 30 ft down. The lure was chartruse spinner harnesses with green and with orange srtiping. The vertical jig was owned by my dad, he caught all the walleye on the vertical jig using a chrome lindy fireball jig with a stinger. All I got was chub. We caught walleye vertical just out side rabbit gulch, under the bridge, and up in the main inlet. I owned the cast and retirieve walleyes. I was using a lindy soft fuzzy grub in chatruse. The trick was to cast it to the bank let it settle, pick it up off the bottom, bring it in a tad, then let it sink to the bottom again. I caught a bunch of smaller walleye and a grundle of smallmouth doing this. We trolled cranks but after I lost a lucky craft bevy shad, and a wally diver I decided I didnt want to put any more cranks where the fish were and would wait until next year to use them. Thanks to Wiperhunter2 and Walleye bob. I fished some new areas and caught some fish I probably wouldnt have with out your help. WH2, just as a side note, the fishing remained good along the shore where you last saw me for a while, then we went over to the bridge again, dad got a few more, I of course only got trash. Then we trolled the downriggers again. After that we called it a day. [/size]
[signature]
All thanks should go to WalleyeBob, the information I gave you came from him. We ended up catching 12 walleye, some nice smallmouth, two browns over 18in and that big monster that went
17.5 pounds and was 32inches long. Thanks, Bob. WH2
[signature]
[size 1]"...and that big monster that went 17.5 pounds and was 32inches long." Congratulations on one fine brown trout.[/size]

[size 1]Kent[/size]

[size 1][/size]
[signature]
Predator,

Were the smallies any size? Would it be worth a trip for a footsoldier with a float tube? If so, where abouts on the lake bearing in mind it needs to be within about 1 mi walking distance for an old f--t.

[crazy]Leaky
[signature]
Well it was brown but it wasn't a trout. WH2
[signature]
Xman caught the new state catch and release record of that species this year at Bountiful Lake. If you got a nice picture of your prize next to a tape maybe you have the new record.

Kent
[signature]
[size 4]Leaky, the smallies were all fat chunks but I didnt catch any big ones. If you could get one in the 20 inch range, it would be so fat it would be worth the trip anywhere. If you want a trip to catch walleye and smallmouth, I would say it is definitley the place. The shorelines are steep and rocky, so a walk could be tough. But if you want to try, park just before you go across the bridgeand walk down the south side of the bridge, from there you could fish the shoreline for smallies and walleye, and you could fish vertical under the bridge in the late day. My dad caught walleye in the afternoon vertical jigging on the edge of the shadow cast by the bridge overhead. But watch out, you will get some chubs. The better size walleye came deeper trolling spinner harnesses, over near rabbit gulch. You can drive right down into there and there is a small dirt boat ramp as well. [/size]
Hey Predator,

Thanks! I'm not that familiar with Deer Creek but the only bridge I know about is the one over the Provo! That's not what your talking about are you? The water has so receded that it's about a 1/2 mile or more before you hit the bay now. Are you talking about fishing the South shore somewhere between the inlet bay to Beach Island or where. Be patient, I'm slow.

[crazy]Leaky
[signature]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]One of those big Bear River Brown Trout, huh? Did you know that carp are a BIG deal over in Europe! They have carp fishing associations and fish with LONG, LONG rods! I want to know, did you take it home? How'd it taste? Just wondering.........[Tongue][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
[size 4]hey leaky, we are talking about starvation res. not deer creek. Sorry for the confusion. You pass right over the bridge on your way to duchesne. [/size]
Predator,

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry, I'm embarrassed! Oh well, If anyone has a suggestion on Deer Creek feel free.

Did you guys see or participate in any of the tournament at Starvation that was on the Dug Miller Outdoor Program?

Sorry again, that's what happens when you get old and you lose it!

[Tongue][Tongue][Tongue]Leaky
[signature]
[size 4]Nope, the tournament was the week before. The only event that was going on this last weekend was the search and rescue looking for a dead body. [/size]
Interesting, did they have success. I often wished I had gotten into that with my Golden before I got this fuzzy.

[cool]Leaky
[signature]
You got it right BLM but no I did not bring it home. It put up a good fight though and before we saw what it was we had some high hopes. WH2
[signature]