Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
which boat?
HI! We finally got our little fishin boat, but now we're lookin at a bigger boat and thought we'd put out some feelers to you experts. We are looking at a Four Winns 18' Horizon Fish and Ski. We mostly want to fish but want the versatility to run up to the San Juan Islands and such if the urge arises. We've looked at so many boats they all look the same now!!! Any input greatly aappreciated. Also, we notice that a boat 2 years old is about 6-8 grand cheaper than new. How do you make sure the engine is in good shape if you don't know what you're lookin at? We will probably buy from a private party, not a shop. Thankss...

mlw
[signature]
[size 4]Good luck finding a boat. Its a world of diversity out there. As far as the engine, I recomend asking questions about the maintenance. If the guy doesnt know the answers, he is NOT doing it. Your questions must be loaded and very specific. For example, ask what kind of oil he puts in the lower unit name brand, where he gets it, and about how much it takes. If he doesnt know, he is not changing it every year. Ask him to show you where all the grease points on the engine are and what type of grease he puts in them. Most guys have never put a grease gun on them so they wont have the answers. If you are looking for an outboard, ask about the cylinder fogging he uses, ect. Theres a whole mess of questions you could ask, but in my opinion thats how to determine if the engine is worth buying. If it looks pretty on the outside because the guy waxes the cowling every week, but he has neglected the maintenance, its probably not worth buying even though it looks good on the outside. On the other hand, a scratched up beat up looking motor that has been taken well maintained will likley run forever. If the guy says he doesnt do it but has the local marine shop take care of the maintenance, ask how often, where, and to see the records. Also, you may want to call the shop and ask what they do in a general service to see if they meet your expectations. I am no expert on engines, but buying a boat engine is not much different from buying a car, if you get one that has been taken care of, you will enjoy it. If you get a neglected one that is being sold because the guy was lazy and now his boat has problems, you will inherit his problems. Hope this helps. Also, if I were to buy a newer outboard, I would get a slatwater model. All stainless steel engine parts, very durable and built to handle the elements. I only fish fresh water but if salt water cant hurt it, fresh water wont touch it either. Lund makes a nice fish and ski model boat. But if it was me I would be looking into a fiberglass boat. Also, take the boat out and run it before you buy it. Make sure it has no leaks, the engine runs well, and it fits your needs. Most important, NEVER buy a boat without crawling underneath and closley inspecting the entire hull. Look for gouges, cracks, major dents, anything that suggests the boat has been abused or is about to have a problem. [/size]
Great words of wisdon Predator! Seems like these things go without saying but your right the "deal is in the detail" Good Luck MLW!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Predator,thanks for the info, that helps. I never thought to ask a regular joe selling his boat to take it for a test drive, but it sounds like I will if I want to be smart! Thanks again, "good fishin" mlw
[signature]
[Image: Earthworm.gif] To add just a few words to predators most excellent advice make sure that the paper work is up to date (registration and tabs) if not defiantly ask why and make sure to match numbers on the hull and motor to the paper work.

[Image: Earthworm.gif] Your state license rep will not check this for you they only care about the paper work but he game warden and local police officers will check them you can rest assured. (And if they don’t mach you will be the one responsible for any infractions such as receiving stolen property, improper registrations ect...)
[signature]
thanks davetclown, i appreciate the input... mlw[Smile]
[signature]
Hello mlw,

Did you settle on a boat, I am thinking about something along the same lines as what you mentioned and wondered if your research lead to any conclusions on the best value for a boat like you were looking for?
[signature]

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Hi Mike, actually we have done exhaustive research and feel about as sure as we did in the beginning! We did learn alot from talking to various people though. The guy at Boat Country said it best, " a boat is a toy, plain and simple. Get what you like and TAKE CARE OF IT, and any one will do." We started looking at bowriders, then Striper fishing boats, then cruisers. We have pretty much decided to get a cruiser (22' or 24') because we Can fish out of it, but the kids and grandkids can have fun in it too. We are looking at Bayliner because they are a bit less expensive and we WILL take care of it. Best of luck, Mike, let me know what you end up with!

Bye the way, a few "should haves"according to the "experts" we talked to: fresh water cooling Bravo engine over Alpha in a Mercruiser head and stove(sink too?) qualify boat as a second home, tax write-off galvanized trailer big tires on trailer surge brakes

Laurie
[signature]
Hello Laurie,

Thank you for the great information. I think we will be going a simlair route, we all like to ski as well (my wife, 9 year old duaghter and 6 year old son). Thanks for the heads up on the tax break also, I'll let you know what we end up doing probably late Feb.
[signature]

TheAngler BFT Moderator