Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now I understand
I got cabin fever and got tired of the honey does so I took off to Willard today about 4:30 as a foot soldier with my dog to explore. About 10 min. after I toped the dike on the south side and waded in I saw a bunch of sea gulls diving into the water about 300 yds, to the west. Since I've been reading all the posts, I ran over there and thru in my white tube jig and immediately hooked up. Wow! After landing him I saw that the boil had moved east about 500 yds. and I never caught up.

He was about 19 in. What's the average? I quit about 6:30, had to get back to honey does. I'm eating him tonight. Realistically, what are a foot soldier's chances? I still haven't received any suggestions on areas for float tube/shore fishing. If one was limited to these, does he just wander the shore looking for boils? Was I lucky? Is there a reasonable chance for strays along the shore? These guys could very well be an alternative to my small mouth fishing if I could have a chance for reasonable success!

[Tongue]Leaky
[font "comic Sans MS"][size 3]You're asking for hit or miss at best not to say you can't catch fish from the bank. You may get lucky and hit some good boils right by the dike and you may spend days before you're back into the fish again. My suggestion is to bum a ride with guys who are going out in boats. There are always guys looking to spend the day with good fishing buddies. Put out a post and say you're willing to tag along if anyone will have you. Offer to pay fuel costs. But if the dike is where you're going to fish then get a little more mobile and take a bike. Once you get a bike on the dike you can travel pretty fast. Use your binoculars to help you locate fish / boils and ride like he// to get there. Watch for groups of boats working the shore lines. If you really plan on fishing the shoreline on foot put yourself in the best possible situation you can and work all the advantages available to you.

If you want to go out in a boat, I'd be glad to have you tag along. No guarantees for fish and the accommodations are sparse but the chances to hook up increase 10X.[/font][/size]
[signature]
[size 4]Fred, I expect we will have to get together and share a duck blind this fall and I will have to get you out in the boat on willard next spring. As for the shore, you may want to try fishing the north west corner where the fishin fool has been having luck. Also, the area near the south marina where the channel dumps in has been a good area in the past. A lure to try might be a castmaster, it will fly farther than your jig and maybee help your range. A spoon would work too. Good luck.[/size]
Thanks guys,

I've also had some suggestions from Tube Dude. Am going to do some bird hunting, but in between I'm planning on trying again. I appreciate the offer for rides. I've received several now and commend you guys for your sharing attitude! I may have to give up being stubborn.

[crazy]
I don't really know about this time of year but I do know if you fish in the spring try the inlet. The inlet is Ideal when there dumping water into the lake. The water comming in is like a magnet for the Wipers. One other place to try in the spring is the south west corner. The fish will be right in next to the bank out to about 40 yards off. The south west corner is especially good when the wind is blowing into the bank. Float tube is Ideal for this situation because you can hold better in a tube than in a boat. One place you might want to try is south of the north marina were the trees run into the rocks. I use to float tube this area all the time before I got my boat. I know this spot used to be hot in the fall in previous years. But really BLM and Predator are right you need more mobility to truly get after the fish.
[signature]
Thanks Skeeter2,

I might play hooky and try again tomorrow. If you or the rest of you guys see an old fart out there in a float tube, give a wave.

[crazy]Leaky
[signature]