Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice anglers/ ready to walk on water
Here is some info that can be found in New York Outdoor News.
Early season hotspots acroos the state. By Steve Piatt.
For many Empire State anglers there is only on season. And it doesn't begin until they can walk on water. This goes on about enjoying ice fishing, but I would just like to hilight the hotspots.
First is Whitney Point reseroir which is located in Broome County. This is a 3,168- acre gem that often get early ice due to it elevation of 1,010 feet.That's great news for ice anglers, who pursue wall-eye, perch, and the reservoir's marquee fish, the white crappie.
While the walleye fishing can be very good it's the white crappie fishery the firmly has placed Whitney Point Reservoir on the ice fishing map. Each year, the annual Crappie Derby (Jan.29 in 2005; [url "http://www.crappiederby.com"]www.crappiederby.com[/url]) draws a couple of thousand anglers and even more spectators.
The water holds plenty of crappies that top 12 inches; your challenge is to locate them. A Vexilar or similar fish-finding unit accelerates the learning curve; it also helps that the reservoit is less than a mile wide and had a maximun depth of 20 feet.
To reach Whitney Point Reservoir, take I-81 to exit 8 then follow route 26 north to the Dorchester Recreation Area. DEC's Region 7 fishing report-www.dec.state.ny.us-provides regular updates on the hardwater angling activity.
In a couple of days I'll Post another lake to help you get started early. Chief
[signature]