Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice breaker
[size 1]Does anyone know of an "ice breaker" that I can put on the front of my tube to break through the ice[Tongue][Tongue] The lakes are freezing up more everyday up here.
But not to worry, I will be using my tube all winter long at the power plant lake that's open all year round here[cool] [/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, thrillseeker, you sound as bad as I am. I have broken out through a lot of early morning "skim ice" to enjoy that late season fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I don't know of any adaptation or attachment available to convert a float tube into an icebreaker. The rule of thumb I have always used is that if the ice is too thick to break easily, by rocking the tube as I go out, then it is too thick to challenge on that day. Of course that does not mean that I haven't tried to exceed my limitations a time or two.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It's good you have access to a power plant lake. There are quite a few of them around the country and they can help keep fishermen from "losing it" during a long winter.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[size 1] Here is a picture of Lake Nelson's warm water discharge from the power plant. This is what keeps it open through the winter. The water coming out of there currently is in the mid 70s. Sence the bass in here have a longer growing season that anyother body of water in the state, this is what makes it the best place to catch the next state record largemouth bass. [/size]
[inline nelson.jpg]
[signature]
Hey there,

Ice breaker tube?! Well, the principle behind ice breakers is to design the bow of an ice breaker so that it rides up on stubborn ice (when met by resistance) with its powerful torqued props and power plants and use the weight of the ship to bust up the ice.

The old ice breakers used to take forever to get to 'station' but now the hi-tech guys actually have variable props and blow super heated steam at the same time! One of Russia's cold war secret weapons! Why? who the heck knows !!!

So...... if you weigh enough and have really strong legs ........ you're in business!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I could have used an icebreaker Saturday. Went down to Yuba Lake to try to find some trout. When we got there, there was a "hard deck", with only a narrow edge around the lake with just skim ice. No tubing and no ice fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]