Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who starts ice fishing first?
Hello Davetclown,

I relize its a bit early, just wondering what states start ice fishing first and when?
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
[size 4]I doubt it is us, our highest mountain lakes generally have fishable ice in the bays around christmas and the rest freezes shortly after then. But on cold years, we have had some fishable ice around thanksgiving. I have no wish to die an icy death so you wont find me out on the ice anywhere near november. [/size]
Mike,
[Sad]You can count Texas out of the running for first!!!During the winter months the average daytime temp is well above the freezing Temp.
[signature]
well one might think that it would be Alaska, strangly enough they do not Icefish in Alaska go figure, not even the natives partisapate in this sport. or so I am told by the numerous guides in the artic, I have yet to get a hold of the local game warden there to concferm that there is no season.

one would then think of Maine being the next state because of its latitude to be covered with ice next, oddly enough this is not the case eather, the sothern Atlantic winds comming up the eastern seaboard hold Maine back for a couple more weeks setting them behind,

a 4 way tie across the northern sections of North Dakota, Montanna, Minnasoda, and Wisconson.

this is where the jet streams hit first when bring down the cold artic winds and temps. following the state line of the sothern boarder of North Dekota eastward to thumb of Michigan they are already experiincing frost. Gardens for the most part are done whiile following the state line of the sothern border of South Dakota to Lake Erie our gardens are still productive.

with this imformation I would say that it is a toss of the coin between Montana or (my money is on) Minnasota for receiving the first artic winds bring freezing temps to our lakes for the great sport of icefishing.

here in south eastern michigan we have had years with no ice at all to having up to 5 feet of ice on the lakes on other years. as yet our weathermen can not predict the season that is about to hit us.

strong golf winds make its way up here and keeps much of the frozen temps about a 100 miles north of detoit.

[signature]
[cool]Ive ice fished both North Dakota and minnesota, and there about tied ! The earliest ive ice fished was Nov 6 , about 11 yrs ago, but the average date would be between the 12 - thanksgiving. The last couple years have been rough on us, it wasnt frozen till middle to late dec, depending on the size of lake ! Flagmanonice
[signature]