Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romantic Fisherman?
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]A friend has written a short novel about a Utah fisherman’s attempts to be romantic. He’d like feedback as he decides if it’s worth the effort to polish it up and find a publisher.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]You can read it on this website: [/size][/font][url "http://www.chaseadventure.com/fisherman/index.htm"][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]http://www.chaseadventure.com/fisherman/index.htm[/size][/font][/url][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I liked it so much I’m helping him with photos and web work and stuff.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]The guy in the book basically tries to act out the romantic adventures described in old rock songs. It’s set in Utah and includes a few pokes at locals. It deals with sexuality in a low-keyed and sensitive way.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Does it catch your interest? Is it believable? Where are the holes?[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]He’d appreciate any comments.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]Thanks - Dave
[signature]
Hey I will read it and let you know what I think after. I love reading!
[signature]
I'm taking my wife to Lake Powell!!! What a great read. The Sad thing is that I can relate to the sentiments of the author. It's almost scary how my thoughts have followed those same lines many times in the last few years.

My thoughts on publishing such a book- He would be selling to a limited portion of the population because it is a book that would only appeal to those that can relate to the story. For example I thought about taking it home for my wife to read, but I realized that she wouldn't even appreciate it and she would probably not finish it. Those would be my only concerns about publishing it, but if I had written such a believable story in such a believable context I wouldn't hesitate to publish it.

As for holes in the writing, this is not coming from a literary expert just a casual reader- I believe he left the story line of using song lyrics towards the last couple of chapters. Continuity would suggest that the story would at least end how it began. For example, relating his new attempt at involving his wife by buying a cabin in the mountains to the lyrics of some other song. I just felt that the ending was too abrupt and left me wanting a little more detail.

Besides that and a few spelling and punctuation errors, I think he has a winner.

MJ
[signature]