Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DEP purchases open space
[font "Times New Roman"]DEP Acquires Open Space in Preston Along the Quinebaug River[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]The Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) today announced the purchase of 41.3 acres of land in Preston that lies within the Quinebaug Shetucket National Heritage Corridor. The acquisition was completed November 16, 2004 for a purchase price of $400,000. It was strongly supported by town and local land trust officials. The property, which had recently received subdivision approval, was purchased from Lauretta G. Przyborowski, who lives in Las Vegas, Nevada.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Although small in size, the property has over 1,100 feet of frontage on the southerly bank of the Quinebaug River, provides good grass lands for bird management, and will support the restoration of diadromous fish runs to the Quinebaug River. The property includes the eight largest red oak tree in Connecticut that measures over 16 feet in circumference and over 100 feet in height.[/font] [center][font "Times New Roman"][url "http://dep.state.ct.us/whatshap/press/pressrel.htm"]Press Releases[/url] | [url "http://dep.state.ct.us/news.htm"]News[/url] [/font][/center]
[signature]
We'll have to see if they open this up for fishing! Has anyone fished this river? Was it worth the cost? With so many ramps in poor repair I hope it was worth it.
[signature]
i fish the quinebaug river alot in the spring,very nice river,i hope the put in a new launch in.the only one on the river is private,from a campground,they do let you use it with a 20.00 fee,good smallies,largemouths,trout.some sections is catch and release,and open yearround,many access points along this river.i highly recomend fishing this river
[signature]
Thanks for the report Tom, I'll have to give it a try next year with Bob. If it has small mouth we'er there.
[signature]