Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marcum LX-3 Flasher
[cool][#0000ff]I have been looking around at different options for a good ice fishing sonar. The Vexilar has been a recognized standard, but the Marcum LX-3 is getting some high marks these days too. I was wondering if anyone on this board has had experience, one way or another, with the Marcum flashers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, if you wanna see an interesting demo online, along with a lot of neat ice fishing pics, go to the Marcum website below and click on the demo button. You need Windows MediaPlayer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[url "http://www.marcumtech.com/"]http://www.marcumtech.com/[/url]
[signature]
My son has a Vexilar FL18 and he really likes it. I have been reading about Marcum's LX-3 since last year. I have never seen a Marcum LX-3 on the ice yet, but would like to. The LX-3's ability to adjust the zoom through out the water column would be nice for suspended fish.
I was thinking of buying an LX-3 this year to see side by side which is the best. My son is pretty good about sharing his Vex, but I would like a flasher myself. Does anyone know who carries Marcum in the state? I was in Sportsman's last week and they didn't have any. Any ideas?

[url "http://sorry/"]http://sorry/[/url]
[signature]
hooked caries Marcums
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I spent some time looking over the differences of opinion on that website too. Mateo sent it to me in a PM because he was respectful of our policy of (usually) not promoting other boards. My stand is that we are all here to learn and to improve our addiction, so what the heck. As long as it is not a blatant commercial plug, post it up and let's make our own decisions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, I had been codgertatin' on the Marcum, and then got a newsletter from Cabelas, with some of their specials. One of the buttons was for sonars so I had a look. They have Vexilar, Marcum and others, with descriptive info on each for side by side comparisons.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The tricked out Marcum LX-3 is in the same general price range as the Vex FL-18. They claim (Marcum) that you can get 23 hours of operation from a fully charged battery. I assume that is at room temp and not at brass-freezing temps.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am leaning hard toward the LX-3. If anyone does get one, we need to have a get together where we can compare on the ice.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TubeDude,

I was in the same dilemma last year. I ended buying the marcum lx3 and have loved it!! I honestly do not know how I ever fished without it before. I bought mine after my friend showed me how his works. Every person who is a serious ice fisherman should have one. It has helped me to catch fish on days others aren't even getting a bite.

I'm not sure how the vexilar works, but the zoom feature throughout any part of the water column is a huge plus, especially when fishing water over 25 feet.

BMURR
[signature]
How much that marcum lx3 cost ya? Heard a lot of good things about flashers and pondering acquiring one. Thanks.
Anthony
[signature]
Got anxious.

[font "Arial"]Price: $429.00[/font]
[font "Arial"][/font]
[font "Arial"]for all that are interested. Too much for me right now.[/font]
[font "Arial"][/font]
[font "Arial"]Anthony[/font]
[font "Arial"][/font]
[signature]
Or $369 at Cabela's.

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jhtml?No=20&hasJS=true&Nty=1&Ntx=matchall&Ntt=flashers&N=4887&QueryText=flashers&noImage=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jhtml.8&Ntk=Products&_D%3A%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=+&%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Ftemplates%2Fgiftcertificate%2Fgiftcertificate.jhtml%3Fid%3D0005586990011a%26podId%3D0005586%26catalogCode%3DIB%26navAction%3Djump%26indexId%3D"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jhtml?No=20&hasJS=true&Nty=1&Ntx=matchall&Ntt=flashers&N=4887&QueryText=flashers&noImage=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jhtml.8&Ntk=Products&_D%3A%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=+&%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Ftemplates%2Fgiftcertificate%2Fgiftcertificate.jhtml%3Fid%3D0005586990011a%26podId%3D0005586%26catalogCode%3DIB%26navAction%3Djump%26indexId%3D[/url]

Anthony
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you got the Cabela's Christmas catalog, you can get $20 off any purchase over $200.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, if you want to support a good store and save shipping, James will be getting in some more next week, at $383 (Hooked Fishing Tackle, in Kaysville).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, most of the same technology (minus the any-depth zoom) is available in the LX-1 model for about a hundred dollars less. It has gotten a lot of good reviews too. Just depends on the budget and how many bells and whistles you can use and appreciate.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I am about to show off my incredible ignorance. How do the flashers work?[blush] The only thing I've ever used and seen used on the ice has been my fishing buddy. Honestly don't think that it has helped me much on the ice so I don't use it much. I use it more on the boat. If I buy one of these can it be used on a boat in place of the fish finder that is typically on a boat. Why are they typically used only for icefishing?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Not "dumb" questions at all. I don't pretend to know all of the technology. There are other members on the board who can cite more of the physics and electronics jargon, but here is my semi-simplified opinion.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Flashers emit more rapid electronic pulses than most LCD units, especially the lower wattage models. These bounce back and are recorded as flashes on the round dial screen, according to what depth the signal encountered something more dense than water. That can be tree branches, fish, floating debris or weeds...and even your lure. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The bigger the object, the larger the line on the flasher. Your jig will be a thin line, which moves up and down as you move your rod. Fish show up as thicker lines, and tend to come and go on the screen as they swim through. In a modern hi-tech system, like the Vexilars and Marcums, the strength of these signals is indicated with colors. When you learn to read the flashes, and the colors, you can tell when a fish comes into the "cone" of the transducer signal, and when it gets closer to your lure, by the changing of the colors.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can also tell the depth of the approaching or hovering fish, relative to where you have your jig positioned, so that you may raise or lower it into the "zone". On days when you are fishing just off the bottom, and the fish are cruising through several feet above the bottom, you will be able to score a lot more action by adjusting your presentation. Most fish will rise slightly to take a lure, but few will go downward.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some of the higher wattage LCD units will also show this "real time" activity. Your Fishing Buddy will not. You have to stretch the budget by a couple hundred dollars to get into the real time realm.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yes, the flashers will work fine on a boat, tube or 'tune. However, unless most of your fishing is vertical...jigging for suspended fish or fish orienting to structure...you won't gain any advantage by using a flasher. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most anglers who use sonar as an aid while fishing from a boat, tube or 'tune use it more to find structure, determine bottom composition (grey line) and maintain depth than for finding fish. Sure, they show the fish all right, but most of us catch many fish we never saw on a screen, by casting away from the cone of the transducer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]While I have never been a big fan of the Fishing Buddy, I would rather see someone have and use one of those than to fish totally blind. They do not have a lot of the refinements of larger and more expensive units. However, once you learn to read your unit, and adjust your presentations accordingly, you will catch more fish than if you fish without one. Fishing Buddies have a lot of fans who are completely happy with them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In fairness, Bottom Line (makers of the Fishing Buddy) makes several other sonar units that do much more, for a reasonable investment. If you plan to do more open water fishing than ice fishing, I would recommend their Tournament 4100. It is a little over $200, and has some real time display functions. It will also work well for ice fishing, if you can keep the LCD screen from freezing up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you go to a favorite search engine, and plug in "fishing sonar" or something similar, you will get lots of sites. Many of them have buttons that you can bring up tutorials that will explain much more of the science of sonar. After that, you need to develop your own "art"...to be able to read and use your unit for maximum efficiency and enjoyment.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
A couple other observations to add to TubeDude's fine comments. Flasher's may have a narrower cone (how wide of a field is covered by the sonar), which is usually fine for ice fishing, but is not as good for open water on a boat. Flashers do not show any history. What you see is what is happening right now, but there is no display of what happened a second or two ago. Again, not showing history is a minor inconvenience for ice fishing, but most people fishing from a boat want to be able to see a display that briefly shows the history.
[signature]
I'll agree with what TubeDude and kentofnsl had to say. If it were me, I'd weigh the pluses and minuses of each unit, then I'd get the one that will serve you best. I personally think a good LCD sonar, with real-time flasher capabilities gives you the best of both worlds. This feature is usually available on the mid to high end units. The advantage is that you can use them on the ice, and in your boat. Of course if you've got a wad of cash burning hole in your pocket...get them both!
[signature]
HMMM!!! Serious thinking now happening![Wink] Thank you all for the info. If someone doesn't mind me taggin' along to see a flasher in operation, it would sure make my day. The fishing would be a bounus too![sly] As for the cost Theekillerbee, I already had a hole burned in my pocket years ago when I got married and had kids. Now all the money I get keeps falling out![cool]
[signature]
399.99 @ Cabelas plus shipping.
[signature]
I think bass pro shops still has their "6 payment" deal going on. They'll bill your credit card 6 equal payments. They don't have the Marcum, but they do have the Vexilar.
[signature]
There are TONS of threads on this very argument on other, national fishing boards which provide a broader perspective than you'll find here. I've read threads debating every feature each unit has. The results are that Marcum owners love their units, as do the defensive FL-18 users.

I don't think you could go wrong with either unit.
If all goes well, we will be fishing Scofield on Saturday using a Vexilar FL-18. Feel free to stop by and give it a look. We generally fish just east of the island with the rest of the crowd. Fair warning, though, once you fish with one its a hard, hard habit to break! It's my son's unit and we both hover/fight over it.
[signature]
Chester, thank you! I'd take you up in a heartbeat, BUT... I have family obligations the next 2 saturdays. No, I take that back, the next 4 saturdays, dang it.[:/] Its that time of year you know. I'll end up doing all my fishing durring the week until the first of the year. HELP!!!!
[signature]