Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Mesa
Well almost Blue Mesa! Got some spare time so I decided to head up to Blue Mesa for a couple of days. Got 15 miles up bighorn Canyon and I hear ping, ping, ping. I get out look around can't find anything, this was 5:00 am. I pull off luckily there was a parking lot fifty yards from where I was.

I pull off and hear this loud thump. At this point I knew the trip was off. I get out and find that the lugs were loose on my front wheel and sheared the screws completely off of the rotor. After about an hour and a half of fiddleing around and jacking my truck up, I pick up my cell, no signal.

I stood next to the road for around an hour trying to get a signal, several cars could see me and my vehicle and didn't stop which is ok but then a cop passes me and noticed me and didn't even hit the brakes. Soon after that I started walking, finally after 7 MILES on foot a lady pulled off and offered to help. Ended up having it towed back to Canon City, found a mechanic, took him 2 hours to fix. Went back, picked my boat up and thought about fishing but decided not too because the mechanic said there were other loose lugs. This truck is less than one year old, I couldn't believe it!!!!!

Tip of the day: Good time to get a tire rotation is just before a road trip. What a day!
[signature]
Wow. That really bites, Oats. Can't believe that even the cop passed you by. You're probably fortunate that the wheel didn't leave the vehicle.

That sounds like whoever did your last tire rotation didn't properly torque the lug nuts. What kind of truck is it?
[signature]
I was totally amazed when the cop passed, I even gave him a wave! I did think about the wheel comeing off while I was driveing and with a granite wall on one side and a 10 to 30 foot drop to a river on the other, this was a picnic! But its one of the more hellish days I've had in a long time. Its a F-250, the mechanic said the custom wheels probably caused it. Where to go next?
[signature]