Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rod repair
Hi All

I posted in another spot and found this section later. I have a 23 ft surf rod that needs a guide replaced. Its the last guide on the
bottom ofr the rod. I called yhe Mud HOLE GUYS and they gave me the info on what size I need. Now I want to remove the old guide and wrapping. Does anyone know how to remove the old glue and wrapping?

Hank B
[signature]
[shocked] [green][size 3]Wow a 23 foot surf rod! I hope that it isn't a one piece unit. [/size][/green]
[signature]
To remove old guides I use a single edge razor blade at the top of the guide foot to slice off the thread. The guide foot will prevent slicing into the blank. Then you should have a loose tag end to just unravel the old thread. Commercial builders sometimes use a really brittle finish that tends to fly off as you unravel. Safety glasses would be a good idea.

For underwraps I use the same method. VERY carefully cut the thread. A brand new razor blade helps here as you won't have to force anything. I ya cut into the blank, well...

A little sanding with 200 grit to smooth down the old finish & yer ready to rewrap.

Fishslayer
[signature]
[cool][green][size 3]If the binding is coated, using a hair dryer may apply sufficient heat to get you started. [/size][/green]
[signature]
Chum Buckett. I make and repair rods all the time. You need a scalpal I prefer the number 10 blade. Cut on top of the old guide foot through the finish and thread. Peal the thread off It will usually chip the finish off also. Take the new guide and make sure you grind it smooth with a nice taper up the top of the guide foot. Check the guide foot's bottom for smoothness by dragging it across your thumbnail. If it scars the nail it is too sharp and still needs to be smoothed out. If you don't smooth it out it will eventually dig into the blank and cause it to shatter at that point. Once you have it smoothed place it on the blank tapping one end down. Wrap from the base of the foot towards the eyelet. This will allow a nice smooth wrap. Wip it off at the end and trim. Use color preserver to protect the thread color if desired. Then put the rod coat on it. You will have a rod as good as new. Good luck! Feel free to ask if you have other questions.
[signature]