Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trailer Deck Waterproofing
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I'm replacing the decking on my snowmobile trailer. The waferboard deck that the guy I bought it from put on was a major accident waiting to happen. I've stripped the old decking off, removed all screws and cleaned everything. It's ready to replace the deck.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I have decided to go with 3/4" plywood, which the trailer is designed for. I thought about steel tread plate but after pricing it and the added material to get the spacing correct, I decided that plywood would do. My question now is this. What is the best stuff to use on the plywood to get maximum protection and longevity for my new decking? [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I've thought about polyester resin used for fiberglass coth but I'm worried about it cracking and letting moisture in. I've looked at deck stains but I'm wondering how good it is and how often I will have to redo the treatment. I even had one guy say to use used motor oil with a little desiel added. What's a guy to do? Any comments or advice, as always, is greatly appreciated![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I used a floor paint with something mixed in it to make it rough. The plywood was still good 10 years later I had to be replace it because I put a tractor bucket through it in a few places and it was sagging between supports. I’ll see if my dad remembers where he got it from. I’m replacing the plywood with some 2 x 12 laminated floor beams I picked up cheep than the plywood and I’ll have to paint them. They use 2 x 10 for heavy trailers.
[signature]
try this stuff. put it on a buddys a few years ago and still nice and you'll like the non slip after a long day of riding or first thing in the morn.

[Image: p021475sq02.jpg]
[signature]
my neighbor and I put up a fence and he coated it with a mixture of linn-seed oil and turpentine, (dont ask me how much of each) but it has hardend (almost petrified) the wood slats and preserved the color perfectly. even after 3 years now you still cant pierce the boards with your fingernail. I have been amazed with it.
theres another fence on my street that he treated almost 10 years ago and it still looks like brand new lumber, the water cannot get through it at all
DZ
[signature]
When I was with team three we Rino-lined a trailer and used it hard and hung it up wet in the salt and sand and 4 years later the lining was as good as new. Depending on the size of your trailer is how much it would cost.
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]I just finished coating the new wood in the bed of my new "Big Bubba's" trailer and it's 1/2 inch plywood side boards. I coated it with simple Thompson's wood preservant. I use the more expensive stuff with UV protection. Water on wood is bad over time but no where near as bad as sun. I put 2 coats on a week apart and plan to do a coat each year.

I use the stuff on the 3/8 inch wood seats of my Gregor boat and am getting absolutely No warping and ALWAYS beeds up water. I am very impressed with the stuff. I do the boat seats once or twice a year. They are pretty well saturated now.

What origanialy got me liking the stuff was from putting on an expensive intracite wooden bird feeder. I gave it a new coat each fall. 15 years later ... (almost) as good as new! [/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]My advice ... if you do plan to use Thompson's, cut your wood to fit, then seal the edges with a lot of coating, then attach your wood to the frame then coat the rest of the exposed wood.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]It's easy and cheep (relativly).

[/black][/font][/size]
[signature]
BLM,

When I was in Alaska and had snow machines and trailers we would use the watersealers like mentioned earlier. UV rays and moisture are definitely factors that will shorten the life of your trailer deck. Saying that.... you should also consider the poly type runners that you screw down to the deck to keep your ski skegs from gouging the deck. The skegs will rip up anything you may put on the plywood in a hurry!

Just my two cents
[signature]