Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vex and/or camera
Hey: Anyone have both a vexilar and an underwater camera that you use on the ice at the same time? I have a chance to purchase a b&w camera good to 60 feet for a very good price. However, I'm wondering if I'll use it with my Vex. Is it just going to be another piece of equipment to haul!

Brand new camera for less then $115.00 bucks is hard to pass up.
[signature]
[Tongue] Callie , if you don't buy , let me !!!LOL !!! I have both , and I would recommend it if you can afford it !! I spend more time watching the camera than I do watching the Vex !! I put one line down on a bobber , or tipup , and the other one I would jig with. Then I would put the camera down around 6 ft away and watch my jig that I'm jigging !! Its fun watching the fish come in and smack it !! Also , it won't scare the fish , most will come up to it and look into the lens !! The only bad thing is , it doesnt work good at low light ( dark ) or unless you buy a expensive one . Also , if you fish around rocks that are softball size or bigger , its nice to drop the camera down to make sure your bait wont be hidden in the rocks !! Also , its great in the summer time when you can check out weed beds and find the beds with the fish your targeting !! Another thing , if your fishing stained water ( murky ) it don't work that good !!

[signature]
if you can pick up a camera for a good price you wont be sorry, you may even want to take a day exploring some of your favorite lakes with a camera and a gps unit to mark areas for next years bass tournaments.... talk about your unfair advantage.... knolage of a lakes structure and forage is your best tool.

remember just because the fish are there dosnt mean you are going to catch them.....

I saw one last year for a bill and a half, wished I had the cold hard cash to pick it up then. I fished along side guys with [size 1]vexilar[/size] and cameras they do well I have a bottom line depth fish finder and it works vary much the same as the [size 1]vexilar[/size] as to using them both at the same time I dont realy know. it would be nice if I had a camera set up on my tip up so I could see what is around before setting the hook....
[signature]
There's a new model of camera that goes for $200 that I'd love to get ahold of. But I think a Vex/Marcum/etc would be a better first buy. That way I don't have to drill holes, look for fish, and then move on. I can look for fish before drilling.
[signature]
Question,

why wouldnt a gps unit be better for a first time buy? with this you could mark your hot spots in the summer time and come right back to them in the winter.
[signature]
Because at this time I have no way of getting to the deeper holes and a lot of lake surface is inaccessible to me to mark hot spots. All the hot spots I hit during the summer are easy to find during without electronics. Only problem is... those are dangerous winter areas due to creeks.
[signature]
that makes perfect sence to me...

now what if you could reach them during the summer? (theoredicaly)

I have found that locating my position depends just as much as my looking at the bottom of the lake as it dose looking at the shore line and cross refferanceing. In the summer time I can hit my spot right on a dime but come winter it takes several drillings to hit my spot. I have found that being off as much as 20 feet can result in no catches at all both in summer and winter....
[signature]
[cool] Here's how I would buy them ! First the Vex , cause you can use that the most, out of the three , then , it would be a toss up with the other two !! If you fish smaller waters , then the camera would come first ( cause ussually you can get close off land marks ! ) , but in big waters , the gps would come first ! If the water you are fishing really stained , then it would be the gps unit !! I have all 3 , and the Vex gets the most use , then it would be the camera , then the gps!! Now around here , they have a site you can go on and get the gps cords on some of the local lakes , so maybe the gps will start getting used more , well see !.

[signature]
if you are serching for table fare I am saying just that, well almost....

they will be at that location between 14 - 25 feet. so if you are fishing a hot spot that is 8 feet deep in the summer follow the down hill slope till you hit 14-25 feet.

you may even want to drill several holes between 14-25 feet and move back and forth when the perch start moving in and out.

of corse you will want to target canals for first ice. They seem to be uncomonly productive.... you will be fishing much shallower waters, but they are wormer waters so take extream caution. make sure you cary a sput to check the ice thickness and check it often. dont trust the ice just because you walked on it yesterday!!!!! dont go alone.....!!!!!
[signature]