Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield Report
What a nice warm sunny day it was at Scofield yesterday.
After eating an unexpected but welcomed breakfast at my brother's he and I arrived at the pond about 9.40 knowing we faced a crowd. Needless to say it looked like Shanty city!, LOL..
I chatted briefly with someone over the 2way who was fishing just off the point near the damn but I'm sorry I dont recall who it was.
At first we fished about 1/3 the distance between the island and east shore but the bite seemed pretty slow so we made our first move out another hundred yards. Picked up a couple there but again it shut down so we slipped out another hundred yards so we were pretty much beyond the crowd. In the end Boogers, Whatta crickets and Paddle Bugs, Roadrunners, and just about anything sweetened with Waxies, Mealies, Crawler and/or eggs all seem to do well. As usual the catching seem to run in spurts but in the end we did ok on the common sizes. We caught nothing over 15" but only iced one under 12".
[signature]
nice report Don.. great to hear you got into them again up there..
sounds like last weekend we had to move alot to get the fish to bite..
i think it's all the recket and moveing around on the ice spooks the fish so they are not staying in any one spot for long..

dude on fish?
Ron
[signature]
No doubt about it Ron. But basking in the sun was good and relaxing because we didnt have all those darn fish pestering us. HA!

Hoping to make a run over to the J area this week sometime before the next storm shows up.
[signature]
Boy I couldn't agree with you more Don. I don't think we could have asked for a more beautiful day up there on the ice. We set up off the point from the dam so it migh have been me on the radio. We got there at day break and got right into them. We had them biting on everything too. Ice flies, wattacrickets, jigs, and even power bait. Most of ours were around sixteen inches. Hot at first and slowed up around 10:00 then it was off and on about every half hour.

Andy
[signature]
[size 1]I arrived a little later than last week but still slammed 23 myself. Both times were on Saturday. For awhile there it was non stop from about 10:30 am until around noon. Left around 1pm. Last week I slammed 31. Definately some hot fishing for some but not all. Had 4 other guys about 20 yards from me not catching a thing. Great day of fishing this last Saturday mainly because of the weather. Biggest fish in both trips was 17 inches with most of them between 12 and 15. [/size]
[signature]
I went to Scofield with my Scouts this past Saturday morning. We had a good time. The weather was perfect (a balmy 8 degrees at 7:30 a.m., and it warmed up to a blistering 22 degrees after the sun came up). The fishing wasn't bad. I got a fish on the ice within five minutes of drilling my hole, while I was still helping the boys get their lines and bait ready. Unfortunately, it didn't continue at that rate. We had about a dozen lines in the water, with all kinds of different rigs (tube jigs, rat finkees, whatacrickets, etc. tipped with meal worms, wax worms, and nightcrawlers) and we would catch one fish every twenty or thirty minutes. That got a bit boring for 11 and 12-year olds. Around 11:00 we went over by the dam where there were lots of little fish. Once we got everyone's jig and bait down to the right size (small rat finkees tipped with meal worms, wax worms, or bits of nightcrawler), we caught lots of small (six to ten inch) planters. We occasionally got a big one also. In fact, the biggest fish of the day (about 18 inches long) was caught just before 2:00 p.m. when we were packing up to head home.
[signature]
I believe that your troop was the one that came and fished by us in the afternoon. I didn't know you were a BFTer. I'm glad that the kids had lots of fun. That kid that caught the big one sure was excited. It didn't look like he had ever caught anything like that before. Your kids were very well behaved and it was fun to have them nearby. If you are the guy from your group that came by to talk, you talked to me (doggone) and kastmaster and his son were just to the east of me. We posted our report on OFT's post and had a great day for both the little planters and the intermediate sizes. See you next time.
[signature]
Yep, that was us! (I've got to get me a BFT hat or something to identify me.) Thanks for letting us fish by you. The guy that caught the big one was from Venezuela, and he had never been ice fishing before. In fact, he later confessed that when he stepped out of the vehicle in the morning and breathed the frigid Scofield air, he almost started to cry. He didn't know if he was going to survive the day. He had been surf fishing in the ocean before, but ice fishing was a totally new experience for him. It took a while to teach him to watch for the little twitch at the end of the rod, but it paid off when he caught that big fish. He went home VERY happy. The other boys had a great time. They were a little discouraged in the morning, but by the end of the afternoon they were hooked on ice fishing. Their last request was "Can we come again next week?"
[signature]