Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Muskie Hunting?
Hi all,
Does anyone know if Pineview is frozen over yet or not? I've been fishing from my boat at Jordanelle the last 4 weekends in a row, and the trout fishing seems to really be slowing down, so I want to try for a Muskie one last time.
I'll be going Saturday morning (12/18) if I hear back that it isn't frozen over. I will be launching before daylight, and can really only stay till about 1:00 p.m.
I'll be going by myself again most likely as my usual fishing buddies say that its "not fishing season" anymore.
I went out earlier in the summer to hunt for muskies and purchased a a few broken back rapalas in various sizes and colors, I've also got a plethora of other lures that I understand are supposed to catch them, and I've been reading up on late season techniques, but I've never caught one yet!
I'll be in my 14' alum boat, which has a gas motor, a trolling motor and a fish finder. I'll probably try trolling as well as pitching and jigging.
I'm as anxious as anyone to start ice fishing, but I really don't want to put the boat away yet and the last few weekends out on the water have been awesome!
Please reply if you know if Pineview is still launchable, or if anyone has any late season tips or pointers for an idiot such as myself.
Thanks!
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Man, there ya go making me itch to go tiger hunting. One of my favorite species to catch and I wont be in town to go hit em.

Curious on the ice aswell, I am going to pull a muskie thru the ice this season. Smile
[signature]
DWR report from yesterday:
PINEVIEW RESERVOIR-Pressure is light. The reservoir is still ice
free.
if it were me I would first troll as slow as you can with a spinner bait "3/4oz bass" or a jerk bait "slug-go". down about 13 feet or more. keep an eye on your finder until you find a big shool of fish then cast into them and around a 1oz jig and pig in brown or white. "you could hook some nice bass that way also" but remeber SLOW is the word
[signature]
CBR, that's a goal of mine this year too. Perch and trout are nice, but I'd like to catch something different.
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red] You guys are killing me with this Musky Fishing through the ice. I want to go real bad. You guys will have to keep me informed on when you plan on going up to pineview to hunt those bad boys. I would be glad to accompany you on the ice when it is safe to go. [/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000] By the way what type of rig would we be using through the ice for musky anyway?[/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000] AFDan52[/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
A warn winch and a frozen chicken. Maybe a baby cow.
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] I got that covered, LMAO[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
I like to use those pain in the butt kids from down the street. just rig them texas riged with a good rope.

just kidding,lol hey last year I used some big jigging spoons for the ones I hooked. when I go for them on the ice I'll pm you and you can get out with me for them
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Hey Norm, I look forward to that buddy.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Heres a few pics of pineview on December 4th and it has been alot warmer since I took these pictures.
[signature]
I have been stocking up on some verticle jigging lures like verticle jigging rapalas, perch imitations, etc. Will tip them with perch.

Any other ideas of what to try for the muskie feel free to let me know. Smile
[signature]
I agree, guess we better arrange a muskie hunt outing this winter.

SWEET!
[signature]
Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions, I did in fact go make another deposit at Sportsmans Warehouse last night. I honestly don't know if the Tiger Muskies even hit this time of year or not, as I have never even caught one when they are supposed to be hitting, but one thing I will say, is that even if I go out and don't get a bite at all, it will be better than staying home doing yardwork, or watching TV!
Thanks again,
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I'll check the proclamation. Maybe i can use a live chicken instead of a frozen one. that should increase my chances.
[signature]
i asked the same questions last year during the ice season... and all of the suggestions helped to land 2 muskies thru the ice. both were little 27" and 19" but still really fun. i caught one on a 5 " green tube jig with a black stripe going down the middle, and i attached a stinger hook to the single hook and tipped the single hook with perch. and the smaller muskie was caught on a 1/5 ounce firetiger/chrome Krokodile tipped with a chub head. i fished for about 6 hours and kept moving. i fished each spot for about a half hour. both of the fish came out of the same hole. and about a week later i lost a very nice one as well, in the same spot, not even 5 feet away from the exact spot.
[signature]
As of sunday the 12 only the back bays were frozen you should be able to launch.
[signature]
Thanks for this info. I guess it is a good idea to start off catching something and hope a monster swims in.

Are there any downsides to tip ups? I have my second pole permit and Pineview ice might be a perfect place to have a tip up going aswell as my ice rod.
[signature]
As TD mentioned in an earlier post, just make sure that you don't use a whole minnow, and that the cut bait is not larger than one inch in any dimension and no more than one piece per hook. I have also heard that some fishermen have been known not to fish with live minnows at Pineview; however, it is amazing how long it takes them to reel in a live perch that they have hooked!
[signature]
I have also heard of folks reeling in a perch they caught and a muskie taking the perch and they successfully land the muskie. Can't stop using live bait when you hook the live bait first. Smile
[signature]