Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buck Pole Hang them Deer pic's here
[font "Book Antiqua"][size 3][Image: Earthworm.gif] Michigan has several big game critters to chase after, deer being the most popular then black bear then elk. (No moose, not in the last 50+ years) [/size][/font]

[font "Book Antiqua"][size 3][Image: Earthworm.gif] Now you must win the lottery in order to hunt bear and elk. [/size][/font]

[font "Book Antiqua"][size 3][Image: Earthworm.gif] I believe that bear season has passed now and was wondering if any one bagged themselves a bar this season and if they wouldn’t mind sharing their success stories or the agony of the feet. (pics are always nice)[/size][/font]

[font "Book Antiqua"][size 3][Image: Earthworm.gif] The next season coming up will be deer (bow/archery) October 1st. [/size][/font]

[font "Book Antiqua"][size 3][Image: Earthworm.gif] Many hunters have already staked out their areas and have been sittin in their spots observing the habits of their quarry and getting them used to having themselves around. [/size][/font]

[font "Book Antiqua"][size 3][Image: Earthworm.gif] 90% of successful deer hunters if they talk at all will tell you that it is important to know the animal you are stalking. Many hunters already know the animal that they are going to shoot. It is not a difficult task to learn about the habitats and what to look for when out scooping your animal. [/size][/font]

[font "Book Antiqua"][size 3][Image: Earthworm.gif] Remember to take caution when selecting your location because there many different types of blinds archers will be using and you do not want to be in ricochets range of a fellow archer especially if you are sitting in a tent or ground blind below a tree stand or across another ground stand. [/size][/font]

[font "Book Antiqua"][size 3][Image: Earthworm.gif] Remember to scope your spot out early and mark it so that other hunters know that you will be in the area. It is first come first serve.[/size][/font]

[font "Book Antiqua"][size 3][Image: Earthworm.gif] You do not want to see the site that I saw a few years back on opening day of gun season. And that was an acre of open field with twenty hunters circled around it. [/size][/font]

[font "Book Antiqua"][size 3][Image: Earthworm.gif] Had it not been for the noise of all those hunters surrounding the field chasing off the deer laying there before days first light, and had a deer stood up in the middle of that field, there would not been enough ambulances available to carry off them idiots. [/size][/font]

[font "Book Antiqua"][size 3][Image: Earthworm.gif] It made me glad that when I showed up and saw all the vehicles in the lot I decided to wait in the car till I could see before walking it to the woods. And when I saw that field with the hunters circling it form my car when daylight came I started my engine and got the hell out of Dixie. A blown day of hunnting is by far better than a blown off head. [/size][/font][font "Book Antiqua"][size 4][Image: Earthworm.gif] Any way I would like to hear them huntin stories and reports successful or not. (Pics are always nice) [/size][/font]
[signature]
hi guys , didn't win on tne elk permit and i decided to just take the points on bear untill i find a good spot with a selection . but the deer hunting has been my primary this fall .
opening of archery was to say the least a schene from every hunters nightmere . on bowhunters eve , i went thru a long prep time making sure everything was perfect , in my mind i would be the first one to regester the new state ( or world ) record buck before the birds started to chirp . but , alas , the dog trashed the house at one a,
.m. and i was up untill three cleaning it up . i sat down just to rest instead of going back to sleep , but sleep i did untill sixthirty . i raced to get dressed and grabed my gear and scrambled out the door in order to beat the rising sun . my betterhalf came out waving as i zipped down the drive twards my destination , this was not the time to stop for a hug goodby , i just waved and continued on my quest .
when i reached my destination , i got out my bow and arrows and grabed the flashlite with the dying batterys in it (normally i wouldn't need it but the youth hunt was on )it started to peter out and i started to sweat , i had about a mile to go and there were three other cars in the parking area . well i got to my stand and climbed up , as i steped on it it darn near fell , some so and so tried to take it but i had it chained and padlocked , so i ended up standing on the ladder . daylight broke and not ten minutes later here they came , one big fat doe and a yearling . following them by about ten yards was about a two year old six point , they were headed strait for the corner of the rye feild i was in , this was going to be easy ! i don't know why , but for some reason i couldn't remember if i had brought my knife or not , so i started to feel my pockets . nope not in that one , nope not that one either , thats the one where i USUALLY keep my wallet , which has my license in it , panick took over , i searched all pockets and then realised why the wife came out to see me off , she was waving my wallet . i dropped my arrows to the ground and tied off my bowstring to disable it . i stood there on that ladder for about fourty five minutes , motionless and kicking myself in the butt mentaly every minute of it . i knew i wasen't going to get an evening hunt in so i just went home like a big dog that lost a fight with a puppy . the best laid plans of mice and men ......
[signature]
my dad got his first bow buck this year ( a six point ) on opening day with a garage sale bow (40 lbs.)i bought for my oldest daughter to practise with .
dad has had cancer and lost part of his lungs and hasen't regained his strength as of yet . he's in his uper sixteys and this warm weather gave him the chance to go out for once . d.n.r. said he didn't qualify for a crossbow permit but if he were overweght or a drug addict or a drunk . he could get one !
hunters with drugs and alcholl abuse problems , what is the d.n.r. doing giving them special licenses for ? if there to drunk or high to hunt regularly, they aught to be hunting for help instead .
i got a four point at ten this morning , double lung shot , he ran a small circle around right back to my stand , i had to go maybe ten feet to tag and dress him , how lucky can one get !
[signature]
I imagin that your dad had gone to a physical theripest to check on whether or not you are qualified.

also there is a crossbow season this year (time when they allow crosbows to be used not and actual season)

here is a little known fact about cross bows. they have a shorter shooting range compaired to the compound recurve and long bow.

even though a cross bow has a draw of any where from 80 to 150 pounds, the weight of the arrow is so light that it caries low impact when hitting the target at ranges ferther than 35 yards and the shortness of the bow of a cross bow is sow short that is does not have the volosity than that of their counter parts.

I also found that with my brothers cross bow it is prity useless unless you have a crank to draw back the bow string two the release.

After learning about the bulistics of the cross bow I had decided not to envest in to the white elifant.

I am glad your dad did get out and bagged a meal ticket this season. did you by chance get a pic that you can share with us?
[signature]
hi lone hunter

I see you forgot to log in today

its good to see a hunter who has done his home work. you are absolutly correct in pinning down them white hearts.

It is important to keep a watchfull eye on them and their habbits, they do change several times during the early fall to mid winter when the season ends.

thay are as watchful over predators if not more than we watch over them. they learn how to avoid human contact especily during the hunting seaseons changing their runs when they find that their curent one is no longer safe.

thanks for the insite I am sure that this report and tip, it will be much helpfull for hunters just learning their skills
[signature]
Ok its Youper time (first week of deer camp begins tomorrow get them deer pic’s and bring on in and post them here on the Buck pole of the Michigan board.

This is the buck pole If you have problems in posting them send them to me Via privet message and I will stick them in your post for you.
[signature]
I went out yesterday insearch of the horned two toed hoof burger. all I saw was a scatered snow flake. and heard only a morning dove.[shocked]

I went out again today and saw more snow flakes and a big fat fox squriel a nut hach and a cardinal.[blush]

I did hear a lot of gun shots all round me, but saw no roof deer.[pirate]

maybe tomarow will be a better day, maybe tomarow will bring enough ice for fishing.[Wink]

13 days left in the season. monday will be better for sure when all the week end hunters go back to work.[angelic]
[signature]
well the opener of gun started off so-so and went to bad quickley . my deer camp buddies are from ohio , for the last 10 years we have had deer camp at the same spot , hunted the same areas and told the same stories over and over every year . that was before we realized after two days of hunting on state land we were sold private land tags . i guess we should have paid more attention at our purchase , but are glad as heck we wern't checked while hunting . i can only immagine what would have happened to us if we got one . my freinds just packed up and left , they spent a couple of hundred bucks on these licenses and couldn't afford to buy new ones . next year there coming to my neck of the woods , depending on what new changes the d.n.r. has on hunting rules .
i did get a shot at a dandy buck this year , i needed a eight point to finish off my buck tag and this thing had this covered on one side alone ! the fever struck as i got him in my sights and BANG ! bagged the pine tree beside him . take my word for it , pine doesn't taste as good as venison . i have the last three days of the season for rifle but haven't seen anything at all , and i usually have twenty or more in the yard each week , but my girls think of them as pets . if all else fails i have blackpowder season and archery to go , theres nuttin' better than some venison jerkey over a ice hole to let you know how good life can be .
[signature]
rifle season last till the last day of november so we still have some time left. hang in there, dinner sould be walking by any time now.
[signature]
i got this info from some of the locals up here who are pritty pissed ( may be fact or rumor , won't know untill we do or don't get a response from d.n.r. ). some nimrod up here bought some breeding deer at a great price to populate his ranch , unfortunately these deer were from the c.w.d. zone in wisconson just before the ban went into effect . the mi.d.n.r. has been there as hunters try to kill off all the deer in the ranch to make sure no meat is taken , just the horns . the animals are all being tested for c.w.d. , but it is not known if any have jumped the fence or exactly how many deer are on the ranch . i haven't seen anything on the news about this yet , but i am sure we will hear about it next fall . i bet there's gonna be some changes with the regulations next year .
[signature]
here's the skinny from the d.n.r. , the ranch owner kept poor records of where he got his deer from so to make sure none of the animals were from other states currently having problems or from the bovine t.b. area here in michigan . they ( the d.n.r. )are taking the strongest precautions necessary to insure that the states deer heard is not put at any unnessary risk . thay also said that there was no indication that c.w.d. was a factor in this decision , just poor book keeping practises . the hunters are being allowed to keep the meat , but the d.n.r. is keeping the heads for testing .
well my thoughts are , we had 2 t.b. positive deer here in this county last year , maybe from this ranch ? there are several hunting ranches in the area and only this one is affected . it's better to loose a toe rather than the whole foot , i'll have to agree with the d.n.r. on this one .
p.s. , this was heard from two people working at the ranch , none of the hunters are keeping the meat , just the skins and racks .
[signature]
Well I hunted my little spot this year.

A spot I new the deer crossed in the mornings.

Finally on the last day of the season after seeing nothing but hood ornaments for the first 15 days and we start to get our first snow in our area I get a little action.

Changing my point of view in the same spot I figured I mite change my luck a little and that it did, from nothing to next to nothing lol.

As I stood there in the shelter of a red pine watching for a deer of any kind because I have a ticket for either or.

Stepping out to the edge of the tree line and back in when the gust of snow started blowing in my face I stayed there for several hours when I noticed a fawn standing next to me doing the exact same thing just 8 feet away from me on the other side of the same tree I was hiding from the wind from.

As I thought to my self "veal is better than no meal on the last day of the season" I stood there for 20 minutes waiting for the deer to walk out in front of the tree so I could pop him with my 357 mag. my humor getting the best of me I said quietly "Boo" and that little fawn darted like a snow shoe with a hound hot on his tail.

He darted about 25 yards in to the next tree line and stood in side of that line cause he still did not know what I was. Standing there watching me and I could not get off a killing shot any way, I gave up first. lol I will see him another day with horns maybe next time.
[signature]
I know what you are talking about when you say poor records kept.

That alone is all it takes to bring down the wrath of the DNR gods.

Doesn’t mater what it is you are raising. I raised pheasants some years back for my own personal use. (Kitchen). They came out to make sure that our papers were correct. Made a head count every time they came out and was very firm on the selling and releasing issues. (Not to do it with out permits) or they would come and destroy the whole lot.

I can respect their reasoning with this; it is similar with those of the ranch deer. Same laws govern both animals. The pheasant thing is more a wide spread thing because folks from across the state raise them to release in the wild. The DNR gods tell us where to and when we may release them unless of course we had a large farm for hunting prepossess then that opened a another whole can of worms with more ducks to get lined up.

I hope that they will use a grain of thought in doing this and send the venison to the soup kitchens. so long as they strip the meat and do not cut into the bones there wont be any risk in contamination. Except for TB. I don’t know of any one who has gone and sent in a sample to test for TB.

The killing off thing is more for the sake of protecting our environment (our wild life) from transmitted forms of virus. Though CRW has not been found to be transmittable from one animal to another, it has been found to be inherent.

Although I do feel for the guy who is loosing his stock and possibly the chance of ever raising a deer ranch again. He did bring it on him self. Had he at least kept records he would only be faced with loosing his deer. There are those too who for financial gains will misplace records to avoid being caught. Hoping that they won’t get caught.

This is where they make their biggest mistake. Transferring wild life across state lines require federal permits and records are kept. Also the farms from which they are sold from (maintain their own separate records) once found to be contaminated must eminently turn in their own records of sales.

So, there really is no hiding from it. It is just good practice to maintain the highest ethics and integrity, especially when working with our natural resources. It is for every ones’ benefit if they do.
[signature]
Good Thought Dave.
I am guessing that no one up in Mich. got a pic this year of their deer!
The gun season just opened on Monday of this week, so we still have a chance down in Ohio to post a pic to this thred for you guys up in Mich.
[signature]
[Image: MESS3307CustomImage0832325.gif] after the holiday season I found that I only had two bucks left to my name[sly]
[signature]

[signature]
HEY DAVE, NUMBER ONE I DON,T BLAME YA FOR TRUCKIN I WOULD TOO. IT,S A WONDER THEY DIDN,T SHOOT EACH OTHER. THEY ARE IDIOTS IF THEY HUNT LIKE THAT. WHY IS IT YA DON,T HAVE MOOSE FOR 50PLUS YEARS? THAT,S WEIRD ISN,T IT? I KNOW THEY DON,T STAY IN ONE PLACE AND LIKE TO WANDER BUT MOST GENERALLY I,VE SEEN HERE THEY COME AROUND IN SPRING AGAIN WITH THEIR NEW ONES. MAKIN BIG CIRCLES. [Smile]
[signature]
well this is it for 2002 , a four point during bow season . maybe this fall that thirty point buck will finally come in ![Image: HOLL7787CustomImage0029192.jpg]
[signature]
hey lonehunter great pic.

nice to see some one was out in the woods this year.'

we finely got a buck on the pole, I was getting ready to be happy to see even a hornedless on on the pole.

thanks.
[signature]