Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview ice (12-18-04)
Meet up with N.E.T.O. at about 7:15am at my house today and headed for pineview hoping to launch the boat. When we made our way out of the canyon and drove accross the dam we seen a thin layer of ice covering most of the narrows and appeared to be thicker along the edges. We drove over to the port ramp marina to find about a half an inch of ice covering the hole lake. So we decided to cancel our boating plans and take a ride around the lake. Temperature droped to 13 degrees along the north side, most of the lake was coverd with ice with afew trails of soft water scattered threw out the lake. I would suspect most of the ice will burn off during the afternoon but pineview is tring to ice over.
[signature]
With a cold spell coming it wont be long now . Thanks for the report .
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Thanks you two for the good-hearted try, the report, and the pictures.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]With N.E.T.O.'s die-hard "wana get a musky" attitude, '05 will be the year.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]And MGB, he is hangin' with the right guy to get it done![/black][/font][/size]
[signature]
Aaah bummer! Well, lets get busy planning this tiger ice hunt. Smile
[signature]
ooooh baby, the hard water is coming on strong now, it's starting to show up everywhere. By this time next week there will be ice holes all over the state.
[signature]
Hi all,
First off all, I want to tell Mike a big Thanks for the tour of Pineview Saturday morning...we didn't tour it by boat, we toured it by truck, and it was actually very educational.
Like Mike said, we arrived at the boatramp Saturday morning and discovered that there would be no Tiger fishing that day due to the ice!
But the morning was not wasted, Mike took me on a 3 hour tour around the lake, showed me a bunch of hotspots, shared some techniques and stories. It was interesting checking out the lake while its low and seeing the structure and and the plant and vegetation pattern that is already there. We talked a lot about lures and how to use them, and then when the morning was over we made plans for this spring at ice off. I can't wait!
After leaving Mikes house, I stopped at Hooked Tackle and got my free T-shirt and made a small deposit while I was there on (guess what...) an Ice fishing pole and reel, and some Booger and WhataCricket lures. I met HFT and Reggie there ,and spent about an hour just chit chatting with Reggie until he sold me the ice pole.
From there, since I didn't want to go the entire day without fishing and since I had most of my arsenal with me, I went up I-84 to East Canyon and fished for an hour from the shore. I caught a 17" rainbow and had one other follow my Jakes lure to the shore without biting.
The next day, Sunday, I took my boat up to Jordanelle again, and caught 7 fish. 6 were rainbows between 13" and 17". The biggest one broke off and I lost not only the fish but my lure and everything, and a few minutes later while re-rigging, saw a fish floundering on the surface. I quietly snuck up on it using my electric trolling motor, and captured it in my net...It had my lure stuck firmly in its gills and 2 feet of leader wrapped around its jaw! I kept that one since it was mostly gone anyway and not only got the fish back, but got my lure back too! The 7th fish is the one I want to talk about though...A 3 lb. 20 1/2" brown trout! I caught it using the lure that I had bought for Tiger Muskie fishing (Thanks for the tip MGB!)...!
My wife would have killed me if I let that one go, so it came home for dinner also.
I attached the pic of the Brown. Sorry about the quality, my digital camera is on the fritz and only works while plugged into an outlet and the flash doesn't work!

Was a great weekend and was the first time I met some other BFT members. Looks like I'll be at Strawberry Ice Fishing on the 24th.
Hope to see some of you there!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.