Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Reservoir 12/18
What a day @ Strawberry. We initially planned to fish Chicken Creek but ended up at a spot we don't want to post so the lurkers wont hoard our HOT SPOT. BFT'ers feel free to PM me for info.

Met up with Mike @ 6:30 AM and we started our way to Strawberry. We arrived around 7:45AM and found the entire lake iced over. We radio'd for Geoff and got a reply, he had already hit the ice and already landed a nice 19 incher. We met up at the undisclosed spot and began giving the fish there early morning feast.

We all had a great day with many hits and alot of HUGE ones lost at the hole including a monster sized 26 or so inch rainbow that was sneaky enough to spit out the jig at Mike after making several passes showing off its huge head, HUGE girth and brilliant colors. Geoff I think finished with 8 fish all ranging from 17-20 inches, Mike with 12 or 13 with a nice 22 incher and I finished with a whopping 17 fish with a 22 incher and finishing with a 23 incher. What a day, we watched everyone around us and noticed they weren't catching nearly as many as us but did get to see a huge 26 incher taken by a happy angler and a couple bows.

Overall action was spotty at times and quick the next. We all worked the same area so when the bites slowed to a halt we would move a few yards away and begin again then returning to the hot spots for another run a hour or two later.

Best success was with Chartreuse Ginz Worm jig heads with small 1 inch glow in the dark jigs tipped with wax worms.

It is amazing on how consistant you can land HUGE trout at this lake, we really had alot of monsters caught and some bigger ones lost at the hole cause they wouldn't fit thru it or we couldnt get them still enough to line there head up with the hole.

Below is Mike's first entry for the ice challenge, a nice 22 inch Cutthroat.
[Image: Mike_s_22_incher.sized.jpg]

I caught this one about mid-day.
[Image: cbrs_23_incher.sized.jpg]

Great weather! Great company and one hell of a day on a excellent fishery! Thanks Mike and Geoff for great company!
[signature]
nice report guys. looks like you had a fantastic day at the berry.
glad to see you get into some good size fish.
was there alot of other fisherman on the lake
[signature]
Not many, I don't think word has gotten out yet about it being iced over. But I think this report should take care of that like most reports here do.
[signature]
sorry about that picture of the wally. playing around with the icons.
great report from the berry. glad to see its safe now. glad to see you guys getting some really nice fish.
[signature]
that's good but like you say next weekend should be a full house up there. and i will probably be in the middle of them all.
[signature]
Great report,day,fish and pictures.
Many thanks
pop
[signature]
Sounds like it was an awesome day! Thanks for the report CBR.
[signature]
We have decided to hit Soldier Creek on the 26th and maybe a stop to the hot spot aswell if soldier creek doesn't pan out like we planned.

Theres alot of ice to cover and alot of fish in the lake so no worries, if it is contact fishing thats fine by me as long as noone tries to steal my hole. Smile
[signature]
CBR- You must have only seen the lake at Mud Creek or Chicken Creek. I fished Soldier Creek today, the bay just off the highway, 9" of good ice but the main lake is still soft water!! THE WHOLE LAKE IS NOT ICE!! NOT EVEN CLOSE!! Don`t think your going to run your machine accross the BERRY unless you have an air boat. If you drive the highway from the main marina to soldier you will see nothing but open water on the main lake. If anyone plans on crossing the lake on ice you better give it three weeks (+/-).
[signature]
Good to know, From where I saw it looked solid thru!

How was your success at SC?
[signature]
[cool]Wow, this report has been up for an hour and already 78 views! You lurkers really need to join bft. You are missing out on a lot of cool fishing partners, and much more!

Anyhooters, Craig and Mike, once again, today was a blast even if the fishing was a little slower for me then I would have liked, the fish were certainly bigger than at Scofield, and today ROCKED!! I can't wait to get back up there! For those wondering, there was 8 inches of good solid ice, but that might not be the way it is everywhere on the lake. However, from where we were, all we could see was ice for as far as the eye could see. As previously mentioned, we will not disclose our location today, but those with a lot of experience on that lake can probably guess it from the pictures. Let's just say we were around the marina[Tongue]. Bft'rs with more than 10 posts can send us a pm for more specifics.

One thing that was very apparent to us today is that the new regulations are definitely working there. There are quite a few monsters in there already, and next year there will be more. So for those of you guys following the rules up there-a big thanks is in order, and for those morons that keep fish in the slot, well stick it where the sun don't shine!!!

The future for the berry looks AWESOME!!!!
[signature]
Nice Report guys , I heard that it capped at Sportsmans today . Should be good next week if the cold air comes in .
[signature]
CBR- fishing was slow, a few bow`s and cutt`s , (one deformed with whirling disease). I think Ill go back to Scofield next week , it was lights-out last saturday.
Thanks to y`all who keep this priceless info coming!
[signature]
[cool]Oh yeah, one other thing. When I drove by Jordanelle it was dark this morning, but CBR informed me the when he and mikecromaine drove by it, they could see ice on it, so it looks like it's capped. Don't know the thickness yet, but hey-at least it finally has ice!
[signature]
Nice catch guys. Had a few successful days like that in the summer, I'm hoping it will continue into the winter as well.

Don't forget your readable tape measure in the ice fishing contest.
[signature]
They sure are nice fish . I glad you brought up the tape measure thing . I hope they read the rules . I will post some pics from last year that should give them the idea from last year .
[signature]
Doh, guess I will start over next week @ the berry with the tape measure.
[signature]
[size 1]"Bft'rs with more than 10 posts can send us a pm for more specifics." [/size]

I tell you what I used to think this was a quality site. But now it really looks like it going down hill. Who cares if they sign up on BFT. If you don't want people to know about you trip than don't post. I hate to say but it sounds like this site is getting a little stuck up.
[signature]
this is still the best and highest quality site there is any where here in utah!! it just if your a member for a long time on this site you will know that giveing out your exact location will only mean 20 to 30 people there next time you want to go..

so what they are saying is that they would like to know them better if there going to share they fishing with them...

i'm the same way i like to know my fishing buddys... and I dont realy want to know the A-hole's that come down thinking they own the lake and can just punch a hole 3 feet from me and think i wont mind!!

dude on fish?
Ron
[signature]
it's not even that I mind giving up my info when I have it, but it's give and take. I'm happy to give up a few good tips on a body of water I have figured out if I know they are going to someone that that is willing to return the favor. As far as I'm concerned the lurkers are more than welcome to my information, I would just like to here about there experiences, tips, and tactics as well. The more active members the board has the stronger it is and more helpful it is for everyone involved.
[signature]