Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friday12/17 & Sunday 12/19
Friday, 12/17- Was on the water by 4:00 pm. The lake was so calm you could of crossed it on an air mattress. Hundreds of carp were rolling on the surface. It was a perfect evening to be out on the water. Headed to Hemenway Harbor to try a little trolling. Worked back a forth outside of Speical Events Beach. Nothing. No point in staying there so I pointed the Baysport toward Las Vegas Marina and started trolling along the beach front, just outside the the markers. About 400 meters in front of the entrance to the Marina one of the poles started singing (Don't you just love the sound a clicker makes?). The result was a nice three pounder. Rebait, circle back, and bingo, another nice fish! This one a bit smaller. A look a the clock told me the fun was over. I had a dinner date at 8:00 pm. Off the water by 7:00 pm, at the Olive Garden by 8:05 pm. I hated to leave the lake, and I hope I did'nt smell like fish at dinner!

Sunday, 12/19- Hit the water early. Headed to Las Vegas Wash, found a likely spot, anchored and started chuming bag after bag of old nasty bait that had somehow accumulated in my freezer over the fall. Within an hour sonar showed a lot of fish under the boat but none of them wanted anything to do with my hook. Several boats anchored in the Wash looked like they were sharing the same experince. Enough of this, lets troll! After three big laps around the area (Las Vegas Wash to Hole 33) we had two nice fish, both around two pounds, and one bird. Yes, a nice pissed off Seagul. While letting out the line this gul swoops down a grabs the bait, and tangles its leg in the line! The bird then takes off trying to spool the reel. My pard, Don gives it a yank and shouts "Oh no you don't!" and the bird hits the water. The scene continues with man and bird locked in combat, both hissing at each other. Thankfully, the bird somehow manages to slip out of the line and fly away seemingly unharmed. The bird got the anchovie, and Don got his rig back, although he did have to contend with a nasty backlash in his fine Penn reel. Don asks me "What did you think of that?". My reply: "A draw". Off the water at noon
BaySport
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]What are you trolling with? 'Chovies in a harness? Are you weighting them with something? I've got a few of those JP rigs you need to try. My friend, Ron, ties them up like there is nothing to it. I'll also send you the spreader bars to weight them. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Ron and I poured 300+ cannon ball sinkers from 1 oz to 4 oz to weight the rigs just last Saturday night. If I'd get off my butt you'd see them around Xmas time. I'll bring the sinkers with me when I'm down President's Day weekend.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Been using those Franklin Bullet Rotator rigs that Capt Keith kicks but with outside the gate. They may not be the best method to troll Lake Mead, but they are fun to play with. The FBR holds a whole anchovie and spins it like crazy. I've been using it with a light rig and a diver. Don uses a heavy pole and Penn reel with 25lb. test lead line and a thirty foot mono leader. So far Don is ahead with three fish and one bird to my two fish. Don says he is finished fishing until April, he is really into boil chasing and live bait. Can't get him to jig and he is already sick of trolling. Not me, I'm going to keep at it so send me those JP rigs and I'll give them a go.

By the way while you stay in Utah I'll be fishing with Capt Keith on the 23rd. Weather will determine what we fish for.
Dave
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I hope you get seasick....[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]