Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Special December Deer Season Questions, Answers
North Dakota Game and Fish Department personnel have received a number of questions about the supplemental deer season that will be held in late December.
Some of the more common questions are listed below. Hunters who want more information are encouraged to call the department at 701-328-6300, from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. weekdays.
Why has Game and Fish proposed a special late December deer season? Due to recent mild winters, the white-tailed deer population in most units in North Dakota is at a record level and above the Department's management objectives. Public tolerance for deer, because of vehicle collisions, depredation on agricultural crops and stored livestock feed supplies, and damage to trees, is severely strained. In order to bring deer numbers down to management objectives, Game and Fish is using this additional opportunity to try to ensure an effective harvest of whitetail does within specified hunting units.
What are the dates of the special season? The season opens at noon Dec. 17 and continues through Dec. 31.
Why not just add on two more weeks to the end of the regular season, instead of having it from Dec. 17-31? The special muzzle-loader season runs from Nov. 26 - Dec. 12. The Department did not want to overlap and create complications for the muzzle-loader season by just extending the regular deer gun season.
Is the season open for both white-tailed and mule deer, buck or doe? No, the December season is open for only antlerless white-tailed deer.
What licenses can I use? A hunter can buy a remaining unissued deer license. In addition, all unused antlerless whitetail or any-antlerless licenses for units that are open during the special season can be used to harvest an antlerless white-tailed deer, but only in the unit listed on the license. Unfilled gratis licenses may be used to take an antlerless whitetail, but only in an open unit, and only on the land prescribed on the license. Hunters with unfilled youth licenses may take an antlerless whitetail in any open unit. Muzzle-loader hunters with an unused antlerless whitetail license are also eligible to participate, using a muzzle-loader only.
Where can I buy a remaining doe license? Licenses can be purchased at the Game and Fish Department's Web site. at discovernd.com/gnf; by submitting an application at the Game and Fish Bismarck office; or by mail through the Game and Fish Bismarck office.
If I buy an unsold doe license will I receive it that day? No, hunters should allow at least two days for processing and mailing, even if the license is purchased in person at the Bismarck Game and Fish office.
How long will Game and Fish continue to sell licenses? As long as licenses remain, they will be sold through Dec. 31.
Is the season open for just resident hunters, or can a nonresident hunt? The season is open for both resident and nonresident hunters. The fee for purchasing one of the remaining unsold licenses is $20 for a resident and $55 for nonresidents.
In what units is the special season open? All units, except 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D and 4E in western North Dakota.
Will I be able to hunt the national wildlife refuges? Yes, all national wildlife refuges that were open during the regular deer gun season will be open during the special season. In addition, J. Clark Salyer and Upper Souris NWRs will be open to hunters with the proper unit license. This includes youth hunters with unfilled licenses, and muzzle-loader hunters with an antlerless license.
Do I need to be concerned about shooting a buck that has shed its antlers? Only a small percentage of bucks drop their antlers before the end of December. If you shoot a deer that has shed its antlers, it is an antlerless deer and therefore legally taken.
Why can't an unfilled whitetail doe tag from unit 4A-4E be used in another unit that is open? Game and Fish biologists set specific license numbers for each unit in order to reach management goals. Hunters with unit-specific licenses need to stay within their unit during the special season.
I have an unfilled any-antlerless license. Can I shoot a mule deer doe? No, hunters with any-antlerless licenses must harvest an antlerless white-tailed deer. This includes gratis and youth hunters as well.
Can I hunt with my gratis license? If you have an unfilled gratis license, and your land is in an open unit, you can take an antlerless white-tailed deer only, and only on land designated by your gratis license.
Can I hunt with a youth license? Hunters with an unused youth license can hunt for an antlerless white-tailed deer only in all units except 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D and 4E.
Will I be able to hunt with my unfilled buck license during the special season? No, this season is intended to focus hunting pressure on antlerless white-tailed deer only.
Why can't hunters who didn't fill a buck tag during the regular season, use the license to take a doe during the special season? Game and Fish considered this, but decided against it for three reasons. (1) The Department did this once before and in some units more does were killed than expected, which resulted in a depressed deer population for several years, which made people unhappy. The Department has no way of knowing the number of hunters who would use this option, and it could lead to overharvest of does in some situations. (2) If a person really wanted to shoot a doe, there were plenty of antlerless licenses available after the first lottery and a person could have picked up one of those with no problem; and (3) we already have a problem with more than 80 percent of all first applications being for bucks. If Game and Fish allows people to convert buck licenses, the number of people applying for does in the first lottery will decline. The result would be reduced chances for drawing a buck license in the lottery.
I didn't fill my muzzle-loader doe tag. Can I use it during the December season? Yes, you can hunt in any open unit, with a muzzle-loader only, for antlerless white-tailed deer.
Do I have to stay in the unit listed on my license, or can I hunt in any unit that is open? You have to hunt in the unit to which the license is assigned.
If the doe population is so high, why can't I use my doe tag in any open unit? If hunters were allowed to go anywhere, some units could get overharvested while other units get underharvested.
Can I use either my bow or muzzle-loader to harvest my deer? Yes, you can use any legal weapon; rifle, bow or muzzle-loader. However, if you have an antlerless muzzle-loader license you have to use a muzzle-loader.
I am a bow hunter. Do I have to wear orange during this December season? Yes, bow hunters are required to wear orange in open units during this special season.
I am going to bow hunt in Unit 4C, a unit that is not open during the December season. Do I still have to wear orange in that unit? No, orange clothing is required of bowhunters in only the open units.
Why doesn't the Department give away these unsold doe licenses or reduce the cost? The cost of the license is set by the state legislature and not at the discretion of the Game and Fish Department. Any change in cost would require legislative action. The Department's intention is to maintain the value of wildlife resources and ensure licenses are used by hunters serious about harvesting a deer.
I don't need the extra meat, but want to hunt. Is there a place I can donate the meat? Contact your local wildlife club. Many clubs have game feeds during the winter and can use the meat.
[signature]