Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buck tail Question
What material is used for the Buck Tail jig ? And why?
Thanks
[signature]
the most use part is the hair off the tail of a white tail deer. The some poeple like me add stuff like flashabo. the reason people use it back before rubbler legs thats almost the only think to work with. it does look good still today as it go through the water it moves and does a bit just sitting there. buck tail is easy to work with if you just take a bit of time to learn how.
[signature]
Today I'm putting bucktail on some of my bass lures that didn't produce well last year. The materials only cost me about $20 and I figure they can't hurt to tie them on lures that didn't work great anyway. Haven't done this in 35 years so it took me four trebles to get the hang of it again. Nice hobby on a 17 degree day, next to the stove.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Bucktail has been in use on flies and jigs for hundreds of years. It still works great, especially on flies that you want to float well. It is naturally hollow and has good flotation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After that, I do not use bucktail anymore for jig dressing. I find it too stiff, compared to some of the synthetic "hairs" and other fibres available. I like a jig that wiggles and breathes with the slightest movement of the rod...either on the retrieve or when worked vertically on suspended fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Feathers have been around a long time too. I still use lots of marabou and hackle feathers for jig tails. Sometimes I add some strands of Flashabou or Krystal Flash for extra color and sparkle. You cannot beat good marabou for cold water jigs. When the fish are cold, they don't like the jigs to jump around all over the place. But, they do respond to the sexy "breathing" action on marabou. With the slightest movement of the rod, the marabou comes alive.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I plan to do a lot of experimenting this year with bunny fur too. I have made some large bunny jigs for macks, but this material has long been recognized as a fish killer on zonker flies and various jigs. You can get it in almost any color imaginable now...whole skins, wide strips, narrow strips and even cross-cut strips for winding on as fur "hackle". By the way, that fur hackle really adds to a "large profile" if you want more bulk without weight.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have some new buzzbait designs (see pic)that I will be adding some bunny fur strips to also. One of them is a flattened head buzzbait that allows fishing slower, on top, without having to crank fast to keep the spinner from sinking below the surface.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]